Getting rid of delusions..

Old 02-25-2020, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Getting rid of delusions..

Like many who in my 'drinking days' lead the delusional life of an alcoholic. Bearing in mind alcoholism is often referred to as the Disease of Perception or Delusion with, as it suggests in the book, 'Alcoholics Anonymous' the main problem for the alcoholic centering in the mind.

I'm often surprised and then use it as a timely reminder who have recovered by simply doing no more than stopping drinking,which is no doubt good for their health,families and bank balances etc. but does little, except for those things I've previously mentioned for their state of mind.

In which,like it or not we all live and is the only thing, in reality we have control over in our perceptions, judgements,opinions and desires see Epictetus,'The Manual'. So that the delusions suffered inn their 'drinking days' continue to dominate their thoughts continuing into their daily lives in one form or another. A very pertinent fact that I've found, soon becomes increasingly obvious the more you get to know them.

It doesn't take long to realise that the only way, even I've found in my sobriety is to change your perception along the lines of Sun Tzu in his book,'The Art of War,' which is about life itself really,' You must control events, otherwise events will control you.'

In which I include delusions, both my own and other peoples.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

In my experience the harder I try to control some events the less control I have.

My boss fired me from a job and didn't even tell me. I requested the job be done a certain way and he didn't agree.

The project flopped and he looked like a fool.

But, I don't blame him, because I made my own bed. If i was more clever, i could manage a guy like that.

I always say, if I think I am so smart, how come I frustrate folks. The smartest folks fly under the radar.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

You control events by ..

Epictetus said,'Whenever we face a situation we must decide what is up to us, in other words, what is and isn't under our control.

What isn't under our control, our parents, family , friends, the weather, the economy, our bodies, although we can diet and exercise, our deaths and just about everything else.

What is under our control, our opinions, judgements, perceptions and desires.

Aided by his pupil Marcus Aurelius saying,' The only power you have is over your mind, everything else is external. Remember this and you WILL gain strength.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks as usual, Mike -
you made me think of a couple of key things.

I can't be in the "outcome" business. Ie I need to do the next right thing, make good choices, be spiritually fit and mentally engaged, etc. Other people, and the world at large, not up to me. That can be frustrating for this alcoholic, who sure wants to see certain reactions from others and results at times.

Also, you make me think about what I learned to call "emotional sobriety." To me, my disease isn't about alcohol. I've come to say it often, but I'd be an alcoholic with just a diff diagnosis if I hadn't started drinking - my brain is wired and my "self" is what it is and the rest is how I cope. Good or bad, then w alcohol and now w tools and learning and support.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Emotional sobriety

The term you used 'emotional sobriety' really resonates with me which is why twelve years into my recovery I now see myself a\s a self directed Stoic philosopher.

Bearing in mind Stoic philosophy is not, as many misguidedly think , about repressing emotions, it is about transforming them or more simply put. Turning adversity into advantage, something we as recovering alcoholics all know about and it really makes no difference how long you've been sober.

'Ignis, aurum, probat,' - fire tests gold - suffering tests brave men (and women).