Me? Never?

Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me? Never?

Hi everyone.

I've been sober now for close to three months. This is miniscule compared with many of you, but hey...today we are sober. I enjoy my sobriety and am looking very closely at how my behaviours have affected (and still do affect) those closest to me.

I have only come this far through a commitment of my own desire to become sober, coupled with all the support I find here at SR and in AA. Without all of you, I would not be here now and I would certainly not be keeping on keeping on.

Whilst believing that I am no longer at the centre of my own universe, or the universes of those upon whom my life impacts, I do harbour a feeling that many others are impacted by my actions and my learned behaviours. To keep myself in check, I have produced a one-page statement to remind myself daily of who I am and what I have to do.

This is a combination of my own thoughts and some really powerful messages which I have read here. It works for me and I hope you can enjoy:

Affirmations
(24/11/04)

I have a unique task to fulfil in life and I’m the only person who can do it.

There exists a reason for my past; I cannot change what has occurred, but I can change how I feel about the past. With the knowledge of the past and the wisdom which I have today, I will search for the courage to follow my path. I may not have consciously chosen my path, but I have the ability to look for new routes and change its direction…..step by step…one at a time.
(RYW 24/11/04)

Humility is a lesson and a person who embodies humility will make the effort to listen to and accept others. The greater the acceptance of others, the more that person will be held in high esteem. Humility eliminates possessiveness and narrow vision. It removes fear and insecurity and opens up the self to universal truths. Humility enables me to become dependable, flexible and reliable.

If I retain an open mind and am prepared to search hard, my HP will grant me;

The Serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
The wisdom to know the difference

Reminders

To the whole world you are but someone; but to someone you are the Whole World.

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

I am glad I’m so determined. This really helps me in all situations.

I am a well intentioned person

I can do this… one day at a time

I’m doing well

Today: I have my sobriety, my health, my own happiness, my family and loved ones, my friends around the World. If there is more that I desire then it is up to me to achieve it.

Rich