SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   What is Recovery? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/)
-   -   Just letting the day unfold.. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/440295-just-letting-day-unfold.html)

Redmayne 07-15-2019 05:20 AM

Just letting the day unfold..

For me, recovery has meant, using the practices and principles learned from the book, 'Alcoholics Anonymous' enhanced by , at the same time listening to a recording of one of,'Joe & Charlie: Big Book Study Meeting.' Which I'm told doesn't get mentioned enough on SR?

To which, over the years I've added the practices and principles of Stoic philosophy. With particular emphasis on the Stoic Virtues of exercising practical wisdom, temperance self control, courage (in dealing with both others and myself) and being just.

With my sobriety,always coming first, as opposed to just one more drink...above anyone or anything... and just, 'letting the day unfold'.

By just learning to recognise and accept that I, like many others, including all my friends on SR suffer from the disease/illness of alcoholism and despite the fact I wouldn't wish it on myself or anyone else for that matter.,'we are where we are'. And both me,and my recovery,along with everyone else, are best placed in adopting it as, a way of life to which we,and everything else that's going on around us. Is best undertaken by letting the day unfold...a day at a time.

This may not bring miracles, but it brings sobriety, and that or me at least, as I'm sure it is for many others, is a miracle in itself.

August252015 07-15-2019 05:26 AM

Hi friend! Glad to see your thread as always.

I agree with a lot of what you said - letting the day unfold, or be as it is going to be etc, without trying to control or plan out every little detail, or worry about things going this way or that....so important to learn..

I actually view my disease as the best thing that ever happened to me (as that "nice guy" describes on p418)- I call it a "peculiar gift." Without being an alcoholic, then getting into recovery, I would not be near the person I am today.

If anyone reads my posts, they often hear me say I consider recovery the backdrop of my life. It's absolutely a way of living- and it really has nothing to do with alcohol.

I was also just thinking about how packed this week is. And then, my thoughts jumped back to TODAY's most important thing: one on one lunch with my stepdaughter. Our family has a LOT going on (with her brother, mainly) and she and I don't get a lot of time just us. And just going into it without expectations will be my guidepost.

BTW I have never listened to speaker tapes and I feel in the minority there, as far as my peers in meetings around here ;) Somewhere on my to do list....

PeacefulWater12 07-15-2019 05:32 AM

Amen to both posts.

I wanted to add that Joe&Charlie made an enormous difference to my recovery. Made the Big Book understandable to me. I have a lot to be grateful to them for.