It teaches you how to handle sobriety... - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2019, 03:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Redmayne

It teaches you how to handle sobriety...

I'm a firm believer in the suggestion that, AA, in mine and others case, the contents of the Big Book read, marked and learned from whilst at the same time listening to as recording of one of 'Joe & Charlie:Big Book Study Meetings' will set many of those. Like I was for many years, on the road to recovery. Proof of which,a day at a time has led to my sobriety going through a hopefully,lasting and prolonged period of what is now, well over 11 years!

Which, considering up to the date it started, I never thought I'd go without drinking, is nothing short of a miracle...

Accepting that giving up drinking itself,wasn't easy but it paled into insignificance against the challenge and joy found in learning to live in sobriety, an opportunity not to be missed by anyone....drunk or sober.

Alcoholism is sometimes called the 'Disease of Perception', and as the Ancient Stoics told us, change your perception.Change your life,for the better...
Callas (07-12-2019), Hevyn (07-10-2019), least (07-10-2019), PhoenixJ (07-12-2019), tomsteve (07-12-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Learning to live again

Thanks for the reminder that there's more to recovery than just quitting drinking. We really do need to learn to live in a whole new way.

A little voice deep inside me said, "Hello, I am here." It was a small voice, & sounded as if it were buried underneath the cushions of my couch. It was my soul...I had forgotten it.

Hevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hevyn For This Useful Post:
least (07-10-2019), Redmayne (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Redmayne

'We must be ever vigilant'...

I think the phrase in the Big Book suggesting that 'We must be ever vigilant'....says it all.There's no room for complacency in anyone's recovery, I try every day to make mine a way of life more fun that way and you get the best out of it and yourself...
Hevyn (07-11-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 05:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Marcus strikes again, on reflection.
PhoenixJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhoenixJ For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 06:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Redmayne

Every time..

The Ancient Stoic philosophers, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius and Seneca,overseen by Socrates, aka 'The Father of Philosophy',can teach us a lot about living sober.

I like Epictetus for saying that if a person drinks a lot of wine, you should not call them a drunk, but simply say they drink in abundance. For there may be ,hitherto unknown reasons that cause them to do this...
Callas (07-12-2019), Hevyn (07-12-2019), PhoenixJ (07-12-2019)