It wasn't so much...

Old 04-26-2019, 02:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

It wasn't so much...

In my 'drinking history', which lasted,roughly from 1975 to the date of my sobriety in 2008. It wasn't so much, as 'a high functioning alcoholic' the, at least, initially, effect the alcohol had on me,more the fear of my failing my employers and more importantly, failing myself.

As the years progressed it became obvious that there was only going to be one winner in my 'battle with the booze', which in truth was more of a light skirmish, only one winner.And it certainly wasn't going to be me!

In recovery,many people have asked about my son's, whom I raised as a single,unsupported parent from when he was ten, attitude to my drinking was.me always thought I could handle it, again in truth, I knew that not only I couldn't but it was getting worse!

Fortunately with the help of the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' and a recording of one of 'Joe and Charlie:Big Book Study Meeting' highly recommended!

I found my way into recovery followed by prolonged and hopefully, one day at a time, sobriety...

So, I hope,in my writing this, it helps others, as much as it's helped me in determining that recovery, both yours and mine will and always comes first...followed by,in order to ensure it,sharing experience, strength and hope.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you, Redmayne. I always insisted I could handle it - right up until the time I almost lost my life. Thanks for the encouragement, & the suggestion of Joe & Charlie's study meeting - I keep meaning to check it out.