Sober Living Lonely

Old 03-15-2019, 11:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Living Lonely

I am living at a sober living and I always want to talk to the people here but they stay in their rooms all day. I just feel depressed and lonely at this point in my recovery. I am at 59 days clean. I am bored because I have to stay here all of the time because I don't have a vehicle to go anywhere anyways or money to do anything.

Do you guys have any ideas to keep me busy. I am reading a bunch so please do not suggest that. I need to do activities that use my brain. I am willing to do anything that will enhance my brain. I have been working on my vocabulary and my grammar.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I replied to your last thread so there's not much I can add to what I said then

This is a small forum.

You might get more responses if you posted in either the Newcomers or Alcoholism forums Robert.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robert88 View Post
I am living at a sober living and I always want to talk to the people here but they stay in their rooms all day. I just feel depressed and lonely at this point in my recovery. I am at 59 days clean. I am bored because I have to stay here all of the time because I don't have a vehicle to go anywhere anyways or money to do anything.

Do you guys have any ideas to keep me busy. I am reading a bunch so please do not suggest that. I need to do activities that use my brain. I am willing to do anything that will enhance my brain. I have been working on my vocabulary and my grammar.
Obviously, you have a computer. There are so many things you can do with a computer. I spend way too much time on mine, at least others would think so.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there, and congrats on making the choice for sober living!!

If you have a good internet and working computer, why not do some online learning? There are many grants and scholarships to pay for you to go back to school. I know many people who got a degree or certificate in a new field, without paying a dime! It all can be done online

Blessings on your journey
Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

There is a vast difference...

I have found in my sobriety ,that there is a vast difference between being lonely and living alone.

The former exists in your environment which includes the fact that many complain of feeling lonely in a crowd.

The latter exists in your state of mind, which,perhaps regrettably, although this is not my point of view, no one can do it for you...

As Epictetus said, When we confront any situation we must first decide what is and isn't under our control..the only thing under our control is our opinions, perception, and desires all the rest are external events, over which we have no control...to include our parents,family, friends, the weather,the economy etc., etc...

Whilst remembering the Buddhists saying,'That anything that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned.'
Old 03-17-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

I am bored because I have to stay here all of the time because I don't have a vehicle to go anywhere anyways or money to do anything.
No matter how far I went in a vehicle...no matter how much money I spent doing things...I was always still there all along. Only I can solve my feelings of boredom. When I open my mind and get into action a myriad of possibilities open up. In general, my mind has a short attention span ("oh look another shiny exciting bauble") unless I focus on boredom. When I do that it gets stuck.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

oh sure, you can do things like learn chess on the computer if you do not already play.
and then play all day long, stressing your brain and stretching it.
or google librivox and be read to by others; incredible the amount of books you can have others read to you.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don’t know if this counts, but I still go through spurts listening to recovery audio.org. Enhances the brain in a way.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I got a new job and now I do not have time to feel bored. =) It always works out for the better. I don't know why I was tripping out. I am too hard on myself. I started reading a book as well. I am playing Runescape again. I have to spend a lot of time learning about my new job. I am a tech support agent for an internet company.