An education to enjoy.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

An education to enjoy.

Having myself experienced both the suffering and torment of my own 'acohell' and the rigors of recovery, certainly in the first few months,with the sporadic outbreak of 'the cravings' in the first two years of my recovery, it happened only twice, but twice was enough!

I don't say this lightly,more out of a sense that I both love and enjoy both my recovery and perhaps more importantly.I learned to love myself, something that had been missing in my 'drinking days' for many, many years and left me both weak and vulnerable to the selfish, irresponsible actions and behaviour of others. So much so that I twice,alcohol aside, lost everything and I do mean EVERYTHING, other than my son and my ability.

It was the latter,my ability, to think with logic and reason and my spirituality that got me sober and has kept me so even today!
Which,given my life is 'an ongoing lesson in the extent of my stupidity' - Soko Morinaga. I had to go out and learn, to educate myself, no one will do it for you....so I read anything and everything that I felt would add something to my life and my self destructive behaviour in drinking. I educated myself into recovery and eventual long term sobriety and suggest others do the same...

Knowledge is knowing something. Wisdom is doing something with that knowledge....

So, if this Christmas or anytime of the year you want to give yourself something you'll enjoy, educate yourself!
Old 12-18-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

and wisdom I being able to say 'I do not know the answer to that- I will ACCEPT help.'For me that is.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Socrates said...

Great post! Thank you,

Socrates said,'True intelligence is knowing you know nothing. I cannot teach but I can make you think. I know I'm intelligent because I know nothing.

'What happened to you may not be your fault, but it is your responsibility to think about it,' William Knauss, one of the pioneers of Cognitive Behavior.