You're cured...

Old 08-31-2018, 01:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

You're cured...

It's always seemed to me that,when reflecting you're 'drinking history' that,when you're past doesn't make sense, you're cured.

That is not to say, you're cured of alcoholism or even perhaps,addiction to alcohol. I know if I picked up a drink today, I'd be back to exactly where I was ten years ago.

For me, it simply means I have at least gone some or all of the way ton reaching a state, within myself of equanimity.

Defined as being, 'mental calmness,composure and evenness of temper, even in difficult situations'.

Which, again for me,is the ultimate goal or aim, of both recovery and Stoic philosophy.A subject for which in recent years I have developed as much as a 'passion' for as my recovery.

Obviously others will have their own views on this, to which they're perfectly entitled which I'd look forward to hearing. Along the lines of Epictetus saying ,'All religions should be tolerated. Each man must find his own way too heaven.'
Old 09-22-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Makes sense when you put it like that. Sadly, I'm nowhere near that point yet, but I hope I will be sooner or later. This gave me something to think about, at the very least.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Remember this and you WILL gain strength!

'The main problem for the alcoholic centers in the mind' , the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous'.

'The only power you have is on the mind, the rest is external events.

Remember this and you will gain strength'

'Our minds are dyed by the colour of our thoughts' - Marcus Aurelius
Old 09-30-2018, 11:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Such a great way to see it, redmayne, i could not agree more. And even if you would drink and attempt to get sober, with this mindest you are on your way out.

At the point I really felt inside, that my alcoholic behavior, my alcoholic self dosn't make sense to me (anymore) I knew I would make it, it was (or still is, now at 6 month sober, cuting down before for2 years) just a question of time and figuring out how to operate getting into sobriety.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I must admit...

I must admit I first became attracted to the practices and principles of Stoic Philosophy about five years ago after reading an article about its links to he Serenity Prayer and have used the teachings of Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius and Seneca to enhance and support my recovery ever since.

As William Knauss, one of the pioneers of cognitive behaviour sais,'What happened to you may not be your fault. But it is your responsibility to think about it.'
Old 10-06-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What you're saying here, makes such sense to me too, Redmayne.

I look back at my drinking and drugging days- and don't even recognize that person. I still love and have great compassion for that part of myself, and no doubt that she still lives inside me, but I have no interest in allowing her to run the show anymore. I now have a greater interest in addressing her needs and wants, though, in healthier ways. Both for myself and my loved ones.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Dyed by the color of our thoughts

'Our minds are dyed by the color our thoughts'' - Marcus Aurelius

Just as the seasons color our environment, foliage,flowers,shrubs etc. so your life is colored by age and experience...
Old 10-21-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I realized something was changing within me when the thoughtswhich once riled me and caused me distress or indignation no longer had any such affect. It was then I began to think, “Oh no! Am I losing my past?” But why would I want to hold on to it? I suppose because so much of it defined me. But now I’m becoming a new person. I love myself, the biggest change. And when I realized I could love myself in a healthy way, I began letting go of the old stories of pain and misery. I didn’t need them anymore. I can forget about those moments that weren’t pleasant. What purpose do they serve me now? None.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome EldenFin!

You are in the right place. Keep reading and reading and reading and post here often you will support you and love you.

To the others on here I think there is a fine balance between respecting the past and embracing the future.

This Halloween at 5:23 PM May 31 Will mark my 31st year without a cigarette!

I remember how good a cigarette felt after a spicy dinner with a drink of alcohol, or when I was mad, or when I was glad, or when I was anything—for that matter.

That was the problem. I was addicted.

So I did not forget how good it made me feel at times I certainly will never forget why I quit.

And that was because I didn’t wanna die like that and they didn’t like being governed by an addiction.

I’m hoping those same sentiments carry me through conquering my alcohol addiction, and if anyone reading here is touched by it, my comments, I hope it helps them too