Never give up!

Old 07-28-2018, 03:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Never give up!

Whilst I'm not yet old enough to be wise,I am old enough to be philosophical..

So when I heard a famous actor, himself a recovering alcoholic older than I, who broke his anonymity years ago. When being interviewed on television responding to the question, as his 80th birthday approached.What was the one piece of advice he could offer to anyone in life reply,'Never give up!'

I reflected on my own recovery which, in truth involved well over twenty years of, granted on an intermittent basis but for regular periods at a time attending AA meetings. Which got me nowhere,until the time came, presumably encouraged by my fortitude, it certainly wasn't by my sobriety, which was non existent...

Someone handed me, over a period of two meetings,five at a time. A set of ten 'burned off' copies of one of 'Joe Charlie's:Big Book Study Meetings' recorded at an unspecified date and time at a venue about 60 miles or so from my home....

It'd be nice to say,I immediately went home listened to it, whilst at the same time reading my copy of 'Alcoholics Anonymous', when Elijah descended from the heavens in a flaming chariot followed by choirs of angels, but it didn't...

This was in Nov.,2007, but on the basis of never giving up listened, learned and read a lot of things about myself and as 'Socrates' says to a young Dan Millman in the book,'The Way of the Peaceful Warrior' realized that, 'A warrior does not give up what he loves,he finds love in what he does.'

Through never giving up,I got sober in Feb., 2008 and slowly,painfully at times learned to love my recovery, myself and more importantly, others...Never give up!
Old 07-28-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Thank you!
By the way the actor was Sir Anthony Hopkins.