The best part of my recovery...

Old 06-27-2018, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The best part of my recovery...

Sober since Feb., 2008, the best part of my recovery by far in what I would guess was early November, 2016. When,almost in a passing remark on one of his visits. I was in hospital at the time recovering from what the surgeons described as a very stressful, traumatic experience.

That I had spent my first five weeks, which started after my initial reception at the hospital on Sept.,8th, in, after a life saving operation, a medically induced coma! News to me!

After returning to my oom and processing this information, after which, I'm told many people get angry, partly because of the time they feel they've 'lost' and because of medical concerns about distress and the shock it might bring to the patient,hindering their recovery...

Perhaps because I'm a recovering alcoholic, I looked out of my window across the grounds surrounding the hospital and saw on the main road that bounded it people, traffic, cars, buses, commercial vehicles etc. going about their daily lives as they had no doubt been doing so during the lengthy period of my incubation in previous weeks.

And then for the first time it hit me, and I mean really hit me! What it really meant when on page 62, in chapter five,'Working with others' of the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed. When it referred to alcoholics, in their drinking days being selfish, self centered, delusional people in full flight from reality.
When, as I had been removed from the world and placed in a medically induced coma for a lengthy period, although wouldn't recommend it. They physical after effects, in which all your physical abilities disappear isn't great...

And you,after regaining consciousness, realise, not really unsurprisingly, that the world has managed perfectly well without you.

It changes, in a positive manner both your perception of the world and yourself, including your recovery by really, for me anyway, transforming your emotions more than anything my years in sobriety had brought me.

To the extent you realise, perhaps in an unimaginable way, not only is this world not only all about you, in truth, it never has been... which made it the best part of my recovery...if there was any ego, particularly self ego, which is the biggest enemy of any alcoholic in their drinking days. It went, and continues to do so, on that day....