Imagination

Old 11-08-2004, 02:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Imagination

All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination.
--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

We use our imaginations to plan how we're going to build a model car or plane, rearrange the furniture in our rooms, even dress for a special party. The imagination is like a big piece of drawing paper on which we sketch the way we want something to look.

When we don't know just how to begin a task, the imagination gets us started. It's like having the directions for playing a new game. Dreams about the future, where we want to go, the jobs we want to have, are made more real when we "draw" them in our minds. The imagination gives us courage, too.

Do I have the courage today to imagine a better me?

Old 11-09-2004, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Doug:

I was wondering when I would see a post on using the imagination to change addictive behavior. Have you seen the web site Success Consciousness? There are a lot of good thoughts on this site on helping people change undesirable behavior through the use of creative imagination/day dreaming, etc. I find that when I wake up during the middle of the night, it is helpful to fill my mind with thoughts of how I want to be - free of addiction, healthy, slim, happy, etc. Thanks, Doug, for bringing this up.

Sherry Lassie
Old 11-09-2004, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doug

Originally Posted by Sherry Lassie
Dear Doug:
I was wondering when I would see a post on using the imagination to change addictive behavior.Sherry Lassie
I don't know, whenever somebody posts one I suppose. I'm not familiar with that technique, but if you have anything you'd like to share about it, please feel free.

Originally Posted by Sherry Lassie
Have you seen the web site Success Consciousness
No I haven't, but maybe this thread will get the attention of someone who has.

Old 11-10-2004, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When we begin finding our thoughts straying to using our DOC, try to replace those thoughts with an image of ourselves being happy that we are not using, that we are in control, proud of ourselves for staying on our Plans. Sometimes when I am driving to work, store, etc., I try to fill my mind with an image of myself as I would like to be. Does anyone else try this technique? I have read that it is helpful in changing or re-enforcing any type of behavior. Also, creative imaging keeps us from focusing on our DOC, which could lead us to using again. Have you noticed that if you think too much about your DOC you start wanting it? Same thing as thinking too much about chocolate, cake, potato chips, etc., that you know you shouldn't be eating - keep picturing it in your mind and sure enough you will want some!

Just some food for thought. Any comments?

Sherry Lassie