What I like about my recovery is ...

Old 03-06-2018, 01:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

What I like about my recovery is ...

What I like about my recovery is that I can wake up every morning knowing that I don't have to clean up the aftermath of the previous nights drinking. For whilst the cans and bottles can all be thrown in the rubbish bin the fear, guilt, self loathing and low self esteem that accompanied them couldn't...
Old 03-06-2018, 02:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Isn't that the truth, Redmayne!

I also enjoy the fact that I am now in good enough shape to do most any activity thrown at (usually chosen by!) me - last weekend we went indoor rock climbing for the first time, I have done 5-6 hot yoga sessions of 60-90 min a week since last Sep, ran the 15K instead of just the 5K at our Feb race....

I love the fact that I am so much more clear-headed. I am a bit quirky and have lots of unique habits, as my husband refers to them , but I know what I'm "doing" most of the time!

I love that my skills at things like "not attending every argument I'm invited to" (Dad's saying, and the AA version being keeping in my own lane!) are much improved. I know where to turn for support and have a support group and friend group of people trying to live their own best lives (alcoholic or not) - rather than those with whom I'd keep lowering my standard of behavior because "I wasn't as bad as [ ]"....

Pretty much, everything is better sober than it was drinking.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For what feels like the first time in a long time I'm starting to create happy, positive memories that I'm proud of and I haven't had any that make me feel guilty/ashamed in between either.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just about everything!!!!!

Life is beautiful and truly amazing! ❤️
Old 03-12-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is hard to say "most", but what I am thinking of now is how through recovery I found two very important people, my God and my wife! Hard to get much better than that!

I also share with people who ask me, they say, "how are you going to have fun if you don't drink?" I have had more fun sober than I ever had drinking! But, it takes time and memories to reinforce that, to let yourself be YOU, and to let yourself have fun. Things that used to be fun for me now are poison to my serenity. Some I still enjoy, just do them sober and enjoy them immensely more! Hope this makes sense, and One Day (moment sometimes) at a Time!
Old 03-12-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
It is hard to say "most", but what I am thinking of now is how through recovery I found two very important people, my God and my wife! Hard to get much better than that!

I also share with people who ask me, they say, "how are you going to have fun if you don't drink?" I have had more fun sober than I ever had drinking! But, it takes time and memories to reinforce that, to let yourself be YOU, and to let yourself have fun. Things that used to be fun for me now are poison to my serenity. Some I still enjoy, just do them sober and enjoy them immensely more! Hope this makes sense, and One Day (moment sometimes) at a Time!
There is a ton and a half of really good stuff, golfreggi! Buckle your seatbelt!!!
Old 03-12-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One thing that I failed to mention is how vitally important (and enjoyable) it is to share our recovery story with other suffering alcoholics. After all, that is how it all started, Bill telling others about alcoholism and his recovery. Dr. Bob was the first to have it take, but from there they continued to share. When you have a chance, share, speak, tell someone else who wants to know how you got even one week without a drink! Believe it or not that can be very helpful. And you will find it a joy to share with others, God Bless
Old 03-13-2018, 04:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The story goes...

The story goes that for 12 months after he got sober Bill W. and his wife, Lois scoured the streets trying to find drunks who they could help by passing on their knowledge. With little or no success,m returning home one night, Bill was in despair about what he perceived as a failure...

Until.Lois, with typical feminine intuition pointed out to him, that it had kept him sober and that he had never done that for so long before..

Hence the slogan,'Pass it on...'

Lois herself went on to found Al-Anon. Great woman, like 'em all!
Old 03-13-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I recovered I drew a line in the sand and stepped over it and at the same time, took a leap of faith into the unknown. Then, I never looked back, because why would I torture myself with horrors from the past when I was addicted, when I had forgiven myself and stepped inexorably into my new non-addicted life?

Then, fully and unconditionally recovered, but without expectations, it was natural that I surveyed the wreckage and made plans and took steps to salvage and improve my life. At 18 months since I recovered, my life is transformed, every single aspect is improved.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Addendum

'If wisdom were offered to me on the one condition that I should keep it shut away and not divulge it to anyone,I should reject it. There is no enjoying the possession of anything valuable unless one has someone to share it with.' - Seneca

Just a thought...
Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
'If wisdom were offered to me on the one condition that I should keep it shut away and not divulge it to anyone,I should reject it. There is no enjoying the possession of anything valuable unless one has someone to share it with.' - Seneca
Wisdom can be offered, but then drowned out by the current, vociferous, normative opinion; such that one tires of advancing an alternative option.

The object in life is not to follow the majority but to avoid joining the insane.' - Marcus Aurelius.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post

Just a thought...
Great, and we can add, "in order to keep it, you gotta give it away!"
Old 03-13-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Redmayne

That's right!

That's right!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Just about everything!!!!!

Life is beautiful and truly amazing! ❤️
It really is.

I wouldn't trade places with anyone in the world.

I have more fun than the law should allow.

I attribute all of my joy, and the ability to participate in life to God and AA in that order.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Calming my monkey mind..

I like the fact that in my recovery I've been able to make some constructive progress in calming my 'monkey mind' which in my drinking day,like I suspect many others my mind went hither and thither. Like a monkey swinging through the trees reacting to every distraction however big or small....so that I can have much more peace, serenity and equanimity...
Old 03-15-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
under new management

Yes, yes, yes!!!! ^^^^^^

I am no longer the victim of my 'crazy brain'
Old 03-15-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If Seneca has to reject it, would it still qualify as 'wisdom?'
Old 03-15-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What I love about my recovery, besides waking up feeling good, is spending more quality time with my dogs and cats. Taking good care of them gives me such a good feeling.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
What I love about my recovery, besides waking up feeling good, is spending more quality time with my dogs and cats. Taking good care of them gives me such a good feeling.
When I got married 12 years ago (to my college sweetheart, who had never been married), I had 4 chihuahuas, 4 indoor cats, 2 outdoor pound hounds and an untold number of outdoor cats.

Now, we still have one of the indoor cats (my 26 lb. Maine coon cat), as well as 2 outdoor cats (one has wised up and become indoor-outdoor), a mini Schnauzer, 2 donkeys (which are very sweet pets), 4 pet cows (that were bottle-fed from birth because their mothers abandoned them and which will never be a steak or hamburger) and 35 - 40 head of beef cattle.

I pray for our pets everyday, along with our friends, family and people who are challenging to me (as required by God and the St. Francis Prayer).

When we retire, we will have even more animals.