I have problems with compliance...

Old 02-22-2018, 01:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I have problems with compliance...

Like Frances McDormand, who made the remark in her acceptance speech at the recent BAFTA Awards ceremony. I like I suspect many others who suffer from alcoholism and other related issues, have problems with compliance....

Accepting as it says in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous',most sober alcoholics are,'friendly, able and intelligent' people and turning to the fact that I now,whenever possible try to incorporate Stoic philosophy, which I was first attracted to because of its links to the Serenity Prayer. The words may as well come from the lips of Epictetus himself!

In my recovery as it often provides much needed support in dealing with the vicissitudes of my life in recovery...in a world that seems more confusing and dangerous every day...it seems most important to remember what Marcus Aurelius said,'The only power you have is over your mind. Everything else is external events. Remember this and you will gain strength.'

And that Stoic philosophy is not as many misguidedly think about repressing emotions, it is very much about transforming them! Allowing for the fact that 'the main problem for the alcoholic centers in the mind,' as referred to again in the book, 'Alcoholics Anonymous.' Which, of course is where our emotions are born, including any of those relating to compliance, to anyone or anything.

On which basis, particularly referring to problems with compliance and using Stoic philosophy I like this,' The object in life is not to follow the majority, but to avoid joining the insane,' Marcus Aurelius, supported by Seneca saying,'Drunkenness is voluntary madness.'

I'm sure many of those who suffer both from my disease/illness and problems with compliance will join me in echoing those thoughts....