Realizing your own value...

Old 11-29-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Realizing your own value...

For me the journey of recovery is encapsulated i the idea of a journey of self discovery. No matter what path you choose, you will doubtless find out hitherto unknown things about yourself and others that you weren't aware of in your drinking days and if you were you tended to pay them no heed. Alcohol and your need for it took precedence over everything worthwhile, including yourself!

In recovery it's worthwhile remembering then , that sometimes walking away has nothing to do with weakness and everything to do with strength.

We walk away not because we want others to realize our worth and value, but because we finally realize our own.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It's far easier to learn life lessons when you're mind isn't clouded with substances and/or withdrawals.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A whole new twist...

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
It's far easier to learn life lessons when you're mind isn't clouded with substances and/or withdrawals.
I'm currently experiencing certain difficulties of a not dissimilar experiences to those brought on by alcohol but in my case by five weeks spent in a medically induced coma, following a life saving operation in September last year...

Apart from the fact it drains you of all your physical strength and abilities, your self confidence takes quite a beating which also leaves a feeling of your losing your identity, it's really quite odd.

Anyone who has experienced this or knows someone will no doubt share this view.

It's more understandable that others can't appreciate what it's like to lose, in are mental and physical faculties, those things in our daily lives most of us take for granted...

None of which, I assure you is for the faint hearted and gives a whole new twist to the question of what is recovery?
Old 12-03-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Wishing you strength with your difficulties RM and hoping that you are recovering in every way.
V.