Transforming your emotions

Old 11-24-2017, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Transforming your emotions

Ok, it's true to say of me that most, if not all of my life until my recovery was driven more through circumstance, much more than choice.

And as I came to learn as the years passed, a life pursued in that vein very often leads leads to disillusionment which manifested itself in both my personal and professional life. No matter how hard and what levels I achieved In just couldn't make life work?

Little wonder then, in my early thirties. Unaware 'til then I suffered from alcoholism that alcohol, 'cunning,baffling and powerful' see the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' was waiting to provide me with that sense of 'ease and comfort' and enfold me in its insidious, life destroying grip, which it did for nigh on another thirty years!

Relief came when someone had the good sense to hand me a copy of one of 'Joe & Charlie's:Big Book Study Meetings'. Which listened to whilst holding my copy of 'Alcoholics Anonymous' saw my desire for alcohol, along with my disillusionment about my drinking and my failure to disappear, never to , a day at a time,return. That was on the 15th Feb.,2008.

That said,whilst the alcohol had disappeared, had,certainly in its participation in my life, disappeared. The disillusionments relating to many of the events remained no matter how hard I tried to 'sweep away the wreckage of the past' as suggested in the Big Book. p.164 4th Ed.

So how, in my efforts to make spiritual progress did I get rid of this? Then one day, for no particular reason than something he'd said Marcus Aurelius, which lead me to the website Stoicism Today on which there was an article about amongst all things 'The Serenity Prayer' and its links to Stoic philosophy. Thee words may have well fallen from the lips of Epictetus,one of the three 'greats' along with Marcus an Seneca. Who said,'Man is not disturbed by things but his view of things', and there I had it...

Alcoholism, amongst other things is sometimes referred to as 'The Disease of Perception'.

Stoic philosophy, is NOT as some misguidedly think putting on a 'stern face' to the world in each and every situation. It IS about changing your perception in such a manner as to transform your emotions.

In much the same manner as in such a manner I had changed my perception and transformed, bearing in mind the main problem 'centers in the mind for' the alcoholic - see the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed., my emotions.

If anyone needed this, I did so using all those people and things I've referred to in this thread I continue, on a daily basis to use them to transform my emotions and hope, whatever path others choose they to find something in this accord to..

'A Stoic is a Buddhist with attitude' - Nassim Nicholas Taleem