Keeping a compass handy...

Old 11-12-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Keeping a compass handy...

As one of those who the late and eminent psychologist, Carl Rogers describes as living a 'rich' full life off experiential learning. Knowing both great triumph and disaster in equal measure (tell me about it!) whilst still remaining open to new experiences... Which apparently, his words, has me as a 'fully functioning person',jury is still out on that one, to be honest they've been out quite a while!

Which includes a 'drinking history' spanning in excess of thirty years. I won't bore you with that one,we've all been there otherwise we wouldn't be here, right!

I've found it useful, both literally and practically, to keep a compass handy, no matter what path of recovery you choose. Gota keep a sense of direction, right! As I did both in my time spent in the scouts and the army before my propensity for alcohol began to take its grip and run riot with my life.

Perhaps even more so over the past year when with eight years of sobriety behind me I, unexpectedly suffered a life saving operation followed by five weeks in a medically induced coma, neither of which I was expected to survive...after which the only advice offered by those medical health professionals charged with my care throughout this ordeal was that I had been through' a very traumatic and stressful experience my recovery from which would be a long slow process'...

On hearing which my only thought was that you should try suffering from alcoholism particularly when you're drinking and that as the writer Tom Sharpe says in one of his books,'there are a lot of people who play at life and don't recognise reality until it slams them in the face'.

On which basis, in both recovery and in life itself I think it's wise to keep a compass handy of which you're quite free to choose yourself. Personally I like to keep an actual compass handy, together with the literature that I use to help and support me, together with the 'Serenity Prayer' and those personal to me, not forgetting SR and all that it offers by way of friends, communication, etc...

Otherwise, as many weary, misguided traveller will no doubt tell you, you might end up falling off a cliff, taking the wrong route or worse still picking up a drink! And losing your sense of direction altogether...
Old 11-12-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
As one of those who the late and eminent psychologist, Carl Rogers describes as living a 'rich' full life off experiential learning. Knowing both great triumph and disaster in equal measure (tell me about it!) whilst still remaining open to new experiences... Which apparently, his words, has me as a 'fully functioning person',jury is still out on that one, to be honest they've been out quite a while!

Which includes a 'drinking history' spanning in excess of thirty years. I won't bore you with that one,we've all been there otherwise we wouldn't be here, right!

I've found it useful, both literally and practically, to keep a compass handy, no matter what path of recovery you choose. Gota keep a sense of direction, right! As I did both in my time spent in the scouts and the army before my propensity for alcohol began to take its grip and run riot with my life.

Perhaps even more so over the past year when with eight years of sobriety behind me I, unexpectedly suffered a life saving operation followed by five weeks in a medically induced coma, neither of which I was expected to survive...after which the only advice offered by those medical health professionals charged with my care throughout this ordeal was that I had been through' a very traumatic and stressful experience my recovery from which would be a long slow process'...

On hearing which my only thought was that you should try suffering from alcoholism particularly when you're drinking and that as the writer Tom Sharpe says in one of his books,'there are a lot of people who play at life and don't recognise reality until it slams them in the face'.

On which basis, in both recovery and in life itself I think it's wise to keep a compass handy of which you're quite free to choose yourself. Personally I like to keep an actual compass handy, together with the literature that I use to help and support me, together with the 'Serenity Prayer' and those personal to me, not forgetting SR and all that it offers by way of friends, communication, etc...

Otherwise, as many weary, misguided traveller will no doubt tell you, you might end up falling off a cliff, taking the wrong route or worse still picking up a drink! And losing your sense of direction altogether...

So true.