It's a great honour!

Old 10-22-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

It's a great honour!

Reflecting, at 71, on my life thus far which includes the fact that this time last year I was lying in a hospital bed recovering from a life saving operation, which included my spending five weeks in a medically induced coma, which had deprived me of most, if not all the physical and mental abilities most of us take for granted in our daily existence. As I slipped into 'the autumn of my life' the season described as 'a time of morning mists and mellow fruitfulness'...

It occurred to me that most of my life has been driven by circumstance, involving much adversity and little, if any choice! I certainly didn't ask to suffer from alcoholism , I suspect few do...

Which, given it's the only 'disease/illness', I leave that open to individuals interpretation, that will kill you whilst at the same time telling you, you haven't got it. The only respite from which, whatever method of recovery you use choose is abstinence.

In my case, part (that was a first!) driven by circumstance after I was handed a copy of one of 'Joe & Charlie's:Big Book Study Meetings' to be listened to ,pen in hand whilst holding my copy of the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous'.

Which as my years in sobriety have progressed, first attracted to it because of an article published on the 'Stoicism Today!'website, it's links to 'The Serenity Prayer' a self directed student of the principles and practices of Stoic philosophy...

Which in turn made me look at the relationship between the SUGGESTED 12 Steps and the words of 'The Serenity Prayer' in which , whilst I can't change, nor would I want to their words. 'Accept the things I cannot change' includes the recognition and acceptance that I suffer from alcoholism and the manner in which the 12 Step program is written and presented.

Which, when oth cleverly and constructively when I turn to the second line of 'The Serenity Prayer','The courage to change the things I can.' Allows me a degree of flexibility, adopting a philosophical approach and having regard to all the circumstances as to the manner in which I practice what is after all, at the risk of repeating myself, a suggested program of recovery, applying logic and reason which is the basis of Stoic philosophy...

Either way and in whatever manner of recovery an individual chooses for me if it brings the freedom found in prolonged and lasting sobriety and is based on logic and reason I take the view that recovery,in which I include both others and my own, is a great honour!

The ability to confront and beat adversity in any form by anyone, trust me I have experienced much, is of itself, an honour as much as it is to find yourself to be deprived of the abilities, both mentally and physically taken for granted by many is , like life itself, a great honour!

And , as the Dalai Lama said,'If you think you're to small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.'....
Old 10-22-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post. GREAT post.

And, to succinctly agree with you:
"[The addict] who dares to recover follows the path of the warrior." Out of the Wreck I Rise

#realisthenewperfect - hashtag I read in my devotional this morning. I believe this wholeheartedly and that this is why sharing our story (whether just with their fellow alcoholics or with the open world as I have chosen)

"For years I thought that the worst thing that could happen to a nice guy like me was that I would be an alcoholic. Turns out, it's the best thing that has ever happened. Which means I don't know what's good for me...." para BB 4th ed, p 418

Not to mention - the promises coming true. I simply wouldn't have the beautiful life I have now if I hadn't gotten sober.

Thanks for the good Sun am thoughts!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Love the reference to...

Love the reference to 'the path of the warrior' as I now see myself as a Stoic Warrior or Warrior of Virtue who, a day at a time following the principles of Stoic philosophy 'honours my soul' by trying to the best of my ability to be wisse, temperate self control), courageous in my dealings with others and myself) and just.

Regarding much of the adversity I have faced at any point in my life, including my drinking and those times, there's been three of them, when I have been brought low in my personal and professional life by the selfish, irresponsible actions of others, which, in reality had nothing to do with my drinking. As gifts in adversity, as Seneca said,'Adversity is a training exercise' in which you can forgive the person, you don't have to forgive their actions or behavior towards you...thank you for your response.