How do you manage your recovery?

Old 10-01-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

How do you manage your recovery?

In my drinking days the one thought that governed my thinking once I'd realised and accepted that I suffered from alcoholism was, why could I not stop drinking?

Well over nine years ago, with the aid of the Big Book and a recording of one of 'Joe & Charlie's:Big Book Study Meetings' I found the answer and began my recovery...

Now governed by this thought from Marcus Aurelius, always perceiving he didn't 'blow it' as someone recently suggested? 'The time assigned to us is limited. If we do not use it to free ourselves it is gone and will never return.'

With Joe McQuany's thought,'Perhaps the secret of life is not life itself, but how you manage life itself.'

I wondered how you, not simply recover but manage your recover and what, if any thoughts guide you and it?
Old 10-01-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't manage my recovery. I learned early on in Step 1 that my life is unmanageable and my problems are of my own making. Whenever I try to managed my drinking and my life, I messed it up. I now try to let God manage my recovery. :-)

If you don't like the word God, I'll write it this way: I let my inner gut/higher instincts manage my recovery instead of listening to the crap in my mind.

I try to be guided by my higher self's thoughts and not by the thoughts of my alcoholic mind. Also known as "the God within".

I live the best that I can in Steps 10 and 11 every day. I watch for thoughts that are selfish, dishonest, self-seeking, resentful or fear-based. I turn my thoughts toward ones that are honest, unselfish, loving, tolerant, and patient. I live in self-awareness of my thoughts and behavior with the help of these two steps. Per Step 12, I try to practice the principles of all the steps in all areas of my life. I do this one day at a time.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I appointed a new manager too. He does a great job when I don't interfere.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What Pathway said, and said well.

The only 'managing' I do is the consistent, daily routines I follow that support and further my life in recovery-
Every morning I : read a daily Bible app devo, read pp 84-88 and 417-418 of the BB, study the daily Richard Rohr meditation email, ask myself HALT, come on SR, and read the day's devo from a book I have. I also do 4-6 mtgs a week (occasionally more and never less than three). I also consistently reach out to my sponsor, fiance (also in recovery) and sober support network when things are bothering me, just on my mind, I need help, whatever. So important.

Otherwise, the first thing that popped to mind when I read your question was to say "Thy Will be Done" and turn any disturbance with others around, and focus on my part and stay on my side of the street. Of course....I couldn't do any of this without direction (both to do it then how to live) from God.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

I stay as close to the present moment as I can, because that is where my life takes place and where my actions have their greatest potential to effect my future.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Mindfulness

There's certainly a lot to be said for living in the present moment or 'mindfulness' as others refer to it in both Stoic and Buddhist philosophy along with 'One day at a time' and the suggestion to 'Think before you think...goes a long way with me ...
Old 10-03-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I appreciate the fact that I physically feel better and I like waking up without a hangover. Whenever the thought of drinking crosses my mind I just think about the fact that being drunk alone isn't any fun and the misery and pain of the hangover. Every day I drank my first thought on waking was regret and the worry about the damage I was doing to my health. I am quite content in my own company not drinking. I have not joined any social events as just over 100 days in and that will be a new challenge.

I have looked into what happiness is, and why many of the people I have known who appeared most happy were not drinkers? They are comfortable in the present and in themselves. I realise happiness is a choice and a decision to live in present and not worry about the future or regret the past. A big challenge for me now is to become more productive and over come my time wasting.

Reminding myself how wasteful it was of me to spend my time drunk alone or suffer a hangover. Same as I look back at the time when I smoked cigarettes and wonder why the hell did I ever think that was a good idea.