Things to quit..

Old 08-27-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Things to quit..

Remembering that alcoholism is both a physical allergy and a mental obsession.

A fact of which I remind myself,in my recovery every day think it's also worth remembering that as well as quitting drinking I need to quit,

1. Trying to please everyone.

2. Fearing change .

3. Living in the past.

4. Putting myself down.

5. Overthinking.

None of which are easy but a day at a time are achievable...small victories, win big battles.

'You must control events otherwise events will control you,' - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good post!

I call it "emotional sobriety" - my goal for living my best life. Everything- especially physical sobriety- follows from having that. By that I mean, in your terms of what else I needed to "give up":

- selfishness and manipulative behavior (ie, I want what I want, no matter how it effects others and such)
- dishonesty- in big and small things- and some of the things/ways I was dishonest were shockingly awful
- self-flagellation and the cycle of guilt-shame-repeat; amends (in toto then ongoing by living in Step 10) have been the key for me
- erratic, dramatic, etc behavior - this is directly connected to maintaining an evenness, and ability to better self-correct, etc that is part of emotional sobriety

I am sure there are others (these are probably also the "names" of some of my character defects!). I have found the "new freedom and a new peace" that the steps promise, and can't begin to tell you how wonderful my full, real, kind, happy, peaceful life is now. Problems come- they don't flatten me; everything is figureoutable, as my fiance (also in recovery, at just past 14 mo, and I am just past 18) and I say. Flipping things that upset me (another expression we use) to see why I am disturbed, to look at it from another's view instead of my own, to look for the solution ("if I am not the problem, there is no solution") and such....my keys to this life I have now.

Thanks for posting.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

As always...

Brilliant! Intelligent and articulate as always, thank you.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
Remembering that alcoholism is both a physical allergy and a mental obsession.

A fact of which I remind myself,in my recovery every day think it's also worth remembering that as well as quitting drinking I need to quit,

1. Trying to please everyone.

2. Fearing change .

3. Living in the past.

4. Putting myself down.

5. Overthinking.

None of which are easy but a day at a time are achievable...small victories, win big battles.

'You must control events otherwise events will control you,' - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'.

Check, check.check, check aaaaand check💯
Old 09-14-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a useful list - thanks!