I'm happy today!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I'm happy today!

I'm happy today and I hope you are to! You see my drinking history extends back over thirty years, as what is referred to as 'a high functioning alcoholic'.

Which sounds good, but isn't. As alcoholism, when drinking is a progressive illness it robs you of everything spiritually, mentally and physically.

At my lowest point,somewhere around 2005, I was living in a sparsely furnished flat on a 'low demand housing estate', which means nobody wanted to live there. Above the local drug dealer with only the width of a door keeping me between that and sleeping on the streets. I was then 59 so there really wasn't much future to look forward to.

Now the sobriety calendar tells me I'm 3432 days sober. I live in a modest reasonably furnished apartment, in a safe, secure environment. I don't pretend to be loaded but I pay my debts and live up to my responsibilities in society. On the basis that if affluence is having everything you need not everything you want, I'm affluent. Which was never the case in my drinking days.

I also, through SR have many friends some with whom I correspond and have recently gained a close friend who despite here being an age difference between us we share common interest in our welfare and well being by offering each other emotional support. Which can be anything from shared laughter ton dealing with more serious matters. Like oh, um sobriety stupid!

Now, in the light of all this, if anyone can tell me if alcohol is a suitable or desirable alternative they can have my present existence and more, including all the misery and suffering it brought me, no charge, it's free...

So, I'm happy today and again I hope you are to!
Old 07-09-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

scoregood