'There is a tide....'

Old 06-05-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

'There is a tide....'

'There is a tide in the affairs of men, which when taken at the flood, leads to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat. And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures.' - William Shakespeare

In my recovery I like to remind myself of this as it serves to deepen my resolve and strengthen my belief in the steps I've taken, or not as the case may be (which usually leaves me thinking,'What the hell am I doing here?') in making spiritual progress and putting them in all my affairs to help others, including myself.

It, perhaps has particular relevance as in my early years I was brought up by the seaside and even today I can look at a tide in full flood and spot the currents. Applied to my recovery, in my daily existence I know when confusion reigns it is best to 'sit still' and 'wallow in the shallows' making a great effort in my stillness and serenity to hand my life and will over to 'the God of my understanding'.

Firm in the knowledge that the tide will once again avail itself,to be 'taken at the flood'.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

Wonderful.

And I am also trying to have that faith...

" Applied to my recovery, in my daily existence I know when confusion reigns it is best to 'sit still' and 'wallow in the shallows' making a great effort in my stillness and serenity to hand my life and will over to 'the God of my understanding'.

Firm in the knowledge that the tide will once again avail itself,to be 'taken at the flood'."

And I read THIS just before I saw your post this morning:

"Wretched am I, says another, that this has befallen me. Nay, say you, happy I, who, tho’ this has befallen me, can still remain without sorrow, neither broken by the present, nor dreading the future. The like might have befallen anyone; but everyone could not have remained thus undejected. Why should the event be called a misfortune, rather than this strength of mind a felicity?...Upon every occasion of sorrow, remember the maxim, that this event is not a misfortune, but the bearing it courageously is a great felicity." --

Marcus Aurelius
Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Reminders for the Advanced Soul...

As I now see myself as a self directed student of the practices and principles of both Stoic and Buddhist philosophy, 'A Stoic is a Buddhist with attitude' Nassim Nicholas Taleem. Anything from Marcus Aurelius is good with me...bearing in mind that I was first attracted to Stoicism by its links to 'The Serenity Prayer'. Which may just as well fallen from the lips of Epictetus himself....

I also like Richard Bach, responsible for 'Jonathon Livingston Seagull' a character I was once identified with,

'Here's a test to see if your mission on earth is finished.

If you're still alive, it isn't.'- 'Messiah's Handbook - Reminders for the Advanced Soul'

As alcohol and more recently a bacterial infection nearly killed me my interest in those bI've referred to and what they produced benefits not just me but many more...
Old 06-05-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Red yep...
all I can add is...I am not weird. I am gifted.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Just because...

Just because you act normal doesn't mean you have to think normal - 'Messiah's Handbook - Reminders for the Advanced Soul' Richard ach, so you're probably right.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Richard Bach

Ooops, sorry the name ach should read Richard Bach...