A cherished gift...

Old 05-20-2017, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A cherished gift...

I've always thought of my recovery as a cherished gift enhanced daily by prolonged sobriety.

Addressed and given thanks for in my daily prayers and meditations fully aware from my own and others experiences that without it there would be no me! By which I mean that as a 'high functioning alcoholic', for whatever my faults and failings and despite the fact, in material and financial terms whilst I do not have or lead the life I once did, the quality of my life in which I am once again,'Master off My Fate and Captain of My Soul' see William Henry Thornley's poem,'Invictus'. Reigns supreme...

Not to be taken lightly or abused either by others or myself on the basis that if they have problems with me or it, that's their problem not mine. I know my disease/illness to well, what it is and where, in my 'drinking days' it, not me, took me and regrettably in my personal and public life, including in my case to the point of death, others beyond...

It's suggested that if you give someone a gift you cannot complain what they do with it.

In mine and I hope others I'd suggest that recovery is a gift not only to be cherished but one to be cherished above all others as it allows me to, in terms of Stoic philosophy ,' honour my soul' which is inviolate and you can't buy or fake that ...
Old 05-20-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 05-21-2017, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well said, and agreed.

Like the BB says, I have come to know peace. Fear of [ ] has left me- or I know how to address it when it arises. Living without burden - living in step 10 as far as others go- and focusing on what I can do for others, not myself, is the best kind of life. I have found that all good things have followed that.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A cherished gift, indeed, Redmayne.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your post is amazing Red.
I agree that sobriety is a gift to be cherished.
I also believe the people you meet along your way are also very much a gift.

Wishing you the best xx
Old 05-22-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wish you the best