From recovery to sobriety...

Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

From recovery to sobriety...

Reflecting on my recovery going to prolonged and hopefully one day at a time' no room for complacency, sobriety....

It occurs to me that the ever present qualities of my initial recognition, that despite its presence in my life undertaken without my permission and my acceptance of this fact. I do now and always will suffer from the two fold disease/illness of alcoholism. Which , as opposed to addiction to alcohol whose primary cause, like all addictions is a mental obsession consists of a mental obsession AND a physical allergy...see 'The Doctor's Opinion' in the book, 'Alcoholics Anonymous'.

Affecting only a small percentage of those generally referred to as alcoholics...

The physical allergy consisting of the fact that 'normal' social drinkers digest alcohol at a rate of one ounce per hour when in its final and fourth stage of digestion, it's turned into enzymes.

Regrettably for me and those like me this final stage ends at the process just prior to this when the alcohol (carbohydrates) is turned into acetone. Science has now proved this is addictive! Which sends messages to the brain saying,'Give me some more!' Hence the mental obsession which without absolute abstinence will persist despite despite my self will or taking up other activities to distract it all my life. My own 'drinking days' provided more than adequate proof of this!

All this and the fact that not only am I aware of it and can now sit down and write about it to share my experience, strength and hope is a prime example of my journey from recovery to sobriety.

Sources for which are to be found in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' and 'Joe & Charlie's: Big Book Study Meeting' which I still refer to today...

On the basis of ,'Live, and let live', I don't have any problems with others views, opinions of other therapies, good, bad or indifferent. If it works for you, great!!! My only reservation can be found in this Buddhist saying, 'Anything that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned' - the Dalai Lama and this from another of my 'heroes','The time assigned to us is limited. If you do not use it to free yourself it is gone and will never return.' - Marcus Aurelius
Old 04-21-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you Redmayne; this is my 12th day of sobriety. I'm looking forward to my women's meeting on Saturday, having met some lovely women there, no drama, no one trying to one up, respect and thoughtful, loving conversation. I will look forward to your posts.