PTSD from addiction/alcoholism and the cycle

Old 04-14-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PTSD from addiction/alcoholism and the cycle

I have ptsd from things that happened while I was drinking, and doing drugs. I also drank did drugs to deal with my ptsd after it was diagnosed.
I find this is a vicious cycle to be in. I am in therapy, and attend meetings, but every time I would get a flashback I would reach for weed, or beer. I think this has caused a horrid cycle of abuse. I now equate emotional pain with the need to self medicate.
I have a therapist, and go to meetings, and yet still have been drinking and continuing to destroy myself.
I found this site and thought the extra out of meeting support would help. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with getting sober and being duel diagnosed?
Old 04-14-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have so many diagnosis they would fill a small telephone book. You say you NEED to self medicate. Are you completely honest with your professional/personal support people- and to yourself? Especially if you mix weed and booze with prescribed meds. That is a very dangerous pathway.
Support offered.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been diagnosed with everything under the sun as well. I don't need to self medicate any more, and thank you for the look at words chosen. I need to be sober, and work on my complex ptsd, and my therapist said my choice to go back to AA was a good one.
I don't need to go into a psychosis, and that is a huge danger for mixing meds and booze and weed as its happened before. I
I take you support, and will use it. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Meisme. AA can be really really helpful, as can talking to a therapist. You are doing the right things and it will pay off. Be patient. Ypur PTSD wasn't acquired in a day, nor will it ease up in a day.
Try not to drink. That makes things worse. Good luck. Keep coming back.