What should be abandoned...

Old 04-13-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

What should be abandoned...

I used to drink a lot, now I don't. With that came the return of cognitive thinking so that I am now able to look for credibility in all people, including myself and things. No credibility, no me ...

'Anything that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned' - the Dalai Lama's little Book of Buddhist Wisdom.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Red,

Can you elaborate on the topic? What specifically do you have in mind when you write about credibility?

When I think credible, I think truthful, or able to be verified.

Are you writing about cognitive distortion?
Old 04-13-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, I hear consistent, reliable, honest behavior on my part and on how I engage with others. Whether they behavior in such a way - and it is not my place to judge them, rather to more clearly see because I am sober- is not my business (side of the street).

As far as cognitive distortion- I could talk myself into anything, convince myself (mostly, or at least enough to act on or proclaim it) of anything, etc, when I was drinking. Even in the face of stark reality that others saw. Now that I am sober - I have to follow the governors of actions not intentions, etc that AA provides me.

Being able to be unquestionable in my behavior means I don't need to be defensive, can calmly respond to criticism or accusations, admit my wrongs as needed, and seek to live a balanced, fair life - which includes inside my head and heart in terms of peace.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Two excellent responses...

Two excellent responses, thank you both, as I now see myself as a self directed student in the principles and practices of both Stoic and Buddhist philosophy, the one compliments the other perhaps these two quotes will offer something ,

1. 'Everything you hear is opinion not fact,

Everything you see is perception not truth.'

2. 'When you wake up in the morning, tell yourself:The people I deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest , jealous and surly. They are like this because they cannot tell good from evil.' - Marcus Aurelius

In this case 'good' means to the best of your ability to be wise, temperate, courageous and just.

'Evil' means to act shamefully towards others, including yourself, sometimes both!

The tragedy in all of this is that some people will always be like this...

I'd also add this from William Knauss, one of the pioneers of Behavioural Therapy,' What happened to you may not be your fault, but bit is your responsibility to think about it.'
Old 04-15-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand.

What do you think of the Saint Francis prayer? It rather ties in with the ideas you've written about....where there is hatred, let me bring love, where there is darkness, light.

I like the idea of mentally preparing for the surly, ungrateful, quarrelsome people one might meet throughout the day. We'll end up meeting ourselves!
Old 04-16-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The community of mankind

The Virtues of Stoic philosophy (philosophy means 'love of wisdom' in Greek) suggest we should try, to the best of our ability to be wise, temperate (self control), courageous (in our dealings with both others and ourselves and just as we live in the community of mankind. So we should treat others, regardless of race, class or gender including age and (dis)ability as our brothers and sisters, so St.Francis was in one sense a Stoic....remember we're dealing with philosophy here....

One Universe, governed by one God ruled by Reason regarded by Stoics as 'the logos' which together make up the Whole with the universe being regarded as one big soul of which we are all part.

I came across this by Nasim Nicholas Taleem recently which I like,'A Stoic is a Buddhist with attitude, who raises two fingers to fate,' he actually uses the F-word, but I'm to much of a gentleman to do that here.

The Stoicism Today website is worth a visit as it gives a greater explanation of the relevance of this ancient philosophy in modern life. I was first attracted to it because the Serenity Prayer and its relevance is referred to in at least three of my growing collection of books I have on the subject...