Turning adversity into advantage...

Old 04-03-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Turning adversity into advantage...

First of all I'll say that someone who now, in prolonged ( a little over nine years) and hopefully lasting. One day at a time, sobriety with a drinking history of nigh on thirty years I now see myself as a self directed student of the practices and principles of Stoic philosophy, influenced by the statement,' A Stoic is a Buddhist with attitude,' - Nassim Nicholas Taleem.

On which basis I'm prepared to accept that there have been four key elements in my recovery which when I reflect on the fact that there was a time I didn't think I could go a day without alcohol have played a significant part in not only my recovery but many other areas of my life ...

1. Recognition that adversity is temporary, 'All life is impermanence,' were the last words attributed to Buddha, and so it is. No one, including myself, and nothing lasts forever..

2. Adversity, in itself is an anchor something, a period in your life you can reflect on. It's ok to look back but you mustn't stare! Providing humility and humbleness, great qualities in anyone...

3. Adversity reveals the good - 'Every adversity,every failure, every heartache carries the seed of equivalent benefit,' - Napoleon Hill. or me, my journey in recovery has provided those things, in my sense of being or my state of mind that leads to serenity. Which you can't buy or fake!

4. Adversity brings with it, gratitude perhaps, as a Stoic because I can now free of the reign of King Alcohol I can now 'honour my soul' by trying to the best of my ability to be wise, temperate (self control), courageous (in my dealings with others and myself and just.

So that as Henley said in his famous poem,'Invictus', 'I am master of my fate, I am captain of my soul,' the opportunity for which we should all be grateful for.

'It is not things that disturb men but their view of them,' - Epictetus
Old 04-03-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Actually, I think of Babe Ruth. The older players on his first team made cruel and relentless fun of him by calling him Babe instead of George. Talk about adversity! Well, then, he made it into the most famous and beloved nickname in history.

Last edited by MarkTwain; 04-03-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: team not kids