Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Why Are We Anxious and What Are We Going To Do About It ?

Old 10-08-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From time to time most of us to some degree get anxious. I think of this not to be a good thing, especially for our sobriety. Possibly, if we write a little about it, it will help us to overcome our anxieties.

Why am I anxious today ?
Today is my daughters wedding reception and she is so looking forward to the Father Daughter Dance. Well, Mountainmanbob is no real dancer.

What are you going to do about it ?
First off, knowing well ahead of time of this upcoming event, I went and took a few simple dance lessons.
Second and most important -- today I will remember that this day is a very special day for my daughter and it is about her only. My anxieties should be kept at a far distance as I set my main goal as having a happy, beautiful daughter on this day.

May this thread be a place to discuss our anxieties and our plans made so as to keep them at bay.

A nice sober day wished for all,
M-Bob
Old 10-08-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The big dance is over and done with in the course of three minutes. It's a time when the guests will be tenderhearted and approving, not critical in any way.

Nobody expects to see Fred Astaire out there. In fact, the more rusty the father, the more touching it is!

And you'll be doubly fine because you have been proactive in arming yourself with dance lessons!

I had some anxiety this week that affected me to the core, both mentally and physically: a CT scan showed a lesion on my liver, and there was a 50% chance that my former melanoma had metastasized.

I discovered, too, that the leading cause of liver lesions in women is hormone therapy, which I started a few months ago.

So I was equipped with a thorough overview of the possibilities and knew that it was probably not necessary to panic; however, no matter how much I reasoned with myself, I couldn't focus on even the smallest thing. It's as if I were paralyzed. All I could do was surf and lie on the couch; I couldn't even read.

Yesterday I found out that the overwhelming probability is that the lesion is benign after all--but I still couldn't manage to function.

And I am not in any way fearful to give up my life on earth; I believe eternity with the Lord waits for me, and that it will be infinite joy.

Intellectually and even emotionally I was calm--but I seemed powerless over the deep, systemic anxiety that took hold of me.

Last night I was finally able to do a mountain of dishes, and I hope to catch up on my homework.

I have no conclusion; all I could do was keep reasoning that yea or nay, it was God's perfect will for me. I felt bad just lying around all day, but I just wasn't capable of anything else.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
The big dance is over and done with in the course of three minutes. It's a time when the guests will be tenderhearted and approving, not critical in any way.

Nobody expects to see Fred Astaire out there. In fact, the more rusty the father, the more touching it is!

And you'll be doubly fine because you have been proactive in arming yourself with dance lessons!

I had some anxiety this week that affected me to the core, both mentally and physically: a CT scan showed a lesion on my liver, and there was a 50% chance that my former melanoma had metastasized.

I discovered, too, that the leading cause of liver lesions in women is hormone therapy, which I started a few months ago.

So I was equipped with a thorough overview of the possibilities and knew that it was probably not necessary to panic; however, no matter how much I reasoned with myself, I couldn't focus on even the smallest thing. It's as if I were paralyzed. All I could do was surf and lie on the couch; I couldn't even read.

Yesterday I found out that the overwhelming probability is that the lesion is benign after all--but I still couldn't manage to function.

And I am not in any way fearful to give up my life on earth; I believe eternity with the Lord waits for me, and that it will be infinite joy.

Intellectually and even emotionally I was calm--but I seemed powerless over the deep, systemic anxiety that took hold of me.

Last night I was finally able to do a mountain of dishes, and I hope to catch up on my homework.

I have no conclusion; all I could do was keep reasoning that yea or nay, it was God's perfect will for me. I felt bad just lying around all day, but I just wasn't capable of anything else.
Thank you for the heartfelt post God bless you have a good day Bob
Old 10-08-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful time blessing your daughter at her wedding!
Old 10-08-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The reception turned out really nice good thing I took dance lessons I had learned three moves and I danced three dances
Old 10-08-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's great!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why am I a little anxious today ?

Well, tomorrow my best old time friend and I are going on our usual bicycle ride around Mission Beach. Without going into details, he is suffering from a medical problem and this may effect his ride greatly. Is so I guess that he may have to have a minor operation so as to fix the problem.

What am I going to do about it ?
Well, for now pray for him.
And to remember to not push him too hard tomorrow.

M-Bob
Old 10-03-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Actually been going to a little anxiety class for a few weeks now.
Is it helping?
Yes, kind of -- old dog learning a few new tricks.
MB