What is Recovered?

Old 09-05-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

What is Recovered?

There have been numerous debates both in this forum and elsewhere as to what the word "Recovered" means. I myself, think it is a form of neuroplasticity. I can easily recognize that there is a difference between someone who is recovering (not-drinking ODAAT) and the person who is recovered (liberated from all thoughts of drinking and not-drinking). I see evidence supporting my theory in this documentary about Neuroplasticity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFCOm1P_cQQ
Old 09-05-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I seldom think about it, can be around it, can't see myself ever drinking but I know I'm fully capable of drinking again if I don't maintain an active program of recovery. Recovered? Not sure
Old 09-07-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not again

Recovered ?

As in "recoveredcrackhead"?

When I speak at rehabs I will write that with the ****** part. Yes that is my e-mail address. I have been taken to task by counselors/facilitators about being recovered or always recovering. I believe I have recovered and now I am continueing to grow, as do most people, straight, sober or in recovery.
To me recovered means to "restore to a former or original state". Which I guess would put me a the mental/emotional level of a 12 yr old. That does not appeal to me, so I continue to pursue growth, change. My attitudes about life have or are changing. I realize the benefits of being sober as well as the harm drugs have done. I care about others, in recovery or not. I seek to help on a daily basis and I try to lead by example. If I have what you want or need, you can have mine. Spiritual or material, I will give it away as I, seek to find the source that keeps me replenished and satisfied.

Be Well,
Larry
Old 09-07-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by larrylive View Post
To me recovered means to "restore to a former or original state".
Yes, that's how I feel to. I have recovered the exact same attitude towards alcohol as I had at 12 years old... before I even knew what getting high was all about. I just don't think about it as being good, bad or attractive in any way.

That is not what I thought "recovered" would be like. What I was expecting was to gain the strength to resist the temptation to drink ODAAT. That would have been the best I could hope for. Turns out what I ended up with is total emancipation from thoughts of drinking (and not-drinking). Kind of like being reborn in a way.

At first thought of it as a miracle. But then after learning about Neuroplasticity, I began to think of it as a form of rewiring my brain so as to bypass my old wiring completely. There is no choosing. There is no decision making. There is no willpower involved.

Sobriety is my new default state of mind.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BAM! This...

'There is no choosing. There is no decision making. There is no willpower involved.

Sobriety is my new default state of mind.'

One of my Standard Lines refers to Harry Houdini using his Mind to slow his Heart Rate to something like 30 Beats/Minute to buy time, and get out of Locks/Chains while under Water. Yogis achieve the same State. It IS do-able. By the fabulous Mind/Body connection.

The Means/Program by which one achieves this State is not something I argue anymore. Instead, I focus on encouraging those to just get free, and get 'there'...
Old 09-09-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

no willpower involved.
yes.

and i like the word/concept of "restored to sanity", too.

my mom is very close to dying, and i've been spending a lot of time by her side. just hit me yesterday as i watched my neighbours carry around their nightly liquor, that using anything, any substance or behaviour, hadn't crossed my mind at all.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Recovery is when you no longer ask 'Am I recovered'
Old 09-09-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Treerat66 View Post
Recovery is when you no longer ask 'Am I recovered'
Indeed. If you are recovered, surely there are better and more important things that need doing. OK, go ahead and ask maybe once or twice, but after that I accepted it and just moved forward with the pursuit of living well. Surely that is where the answer lies.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The big book talks about being recovered from a hopeless condition of mind and body.....
Old 09-20-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Carpathia View Post
The big book talks about being recovered from a hopeless condition of mind and body.....
I believe the statement to which you refer is found in (the first sentence of) the "FORWARD TO FIRST EDITION

HOWEVER, if you go back a few pages...........to the TITLE PAGE..........it clearly states (in ALL editions)................:

"The story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism"

Seems pretty clear to me; I have RECOVERED from alcoholism,

(o:
Old 09-20-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is it correct to say that only those that have had Spiritual Awakening can be said to have recovered ? I believe that is so

Strangely enough in my experience Recovered and Spiritual Awakening are ''rarely ''spoke about in the AA meetings in Scotland .
Does this stem from misinformation from sponsor to sponsor to sponsee etc , it seems as if lots simply do not believe it .

I introduce myself ''my name is Stevie and I am a recovered alcoholic '' and without fail heads turn to look as if its a ''strange statement '' to make, think some shake their heads in disbelief /or think I am nuts .

Haven't watched the article yet , will do soon .

Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 09-20-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by stevieg46 View Post
Is it correct to say that only those that have had Spiritual Awakening can be said to have recovered ? I believe that is so
The whole point of this thread is to point out that the "Spiritual Awakening" described in some recovery circles, is the same liberating experience found in some "neural plasticity" experiments.

What ever you choose to call it (Recovered, awakening, enlightenment, epiphany, satori, moksha, new neural network) it is a completely different experience than not-drinking ODAAT. It is more or less a change in innate intelligence, so deeply ingrained in us, that thinking about drinking/not-drinking is a moot issue.

I'm not saying that it is a one-and-done process. Neural plasticity experiments clearly show that new neural networks need to be exercised frequently in order to remain intact.

If recovery programs/fellowships focused on building new neural networks, instead of not-drinking, I'll bet efficacy rates would ramp up at least 50%.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Boleo .

Awakening > reborn . Awakening >'' rewired'' > obsession removed >restored to sanity > spiritual malady overcome straighten out mentally and physically .

Neuro Plasticity makes sense when you compare it with a new consciousness .

Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 09-21-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Really remarkable video - I enjoyed watching it. Never discount medical science in ones quest.

Thanks for posting
Old 11-27-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not saying that it is a one-and-done process. Neural plasticity experiments clearly show that new neural networks need to be exercised frequently in order to remain intact.

If recovery programs/fellowships focused on building new neural networks, instead of not-drinking, I'll bet efficacy rates would ramp up at least 50%.
From what I see and have seen, exercising frequently is just not happening.

And.. The money is in quick fixes, pharmaceutical intervention.. Unfortunately.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Recovered to me means that through the grace of God and vigorously working the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, I have had a spiritual awakening/psychic change/personality change and my mind has been restored to SANITY.

The insane thinking before the first drink no longer happens.

The problem has been removed.

Recovered--yes. Cured--never. The physical allergy to alcohol will always exist.

And to maintain my recovered status, I must live in steps 10, 11, and 12 on a daily basis.

Recovered means I have entered the world of the spirit, have a relationship with God, and my ego has been crushed.

With God's power and my step work, I became recovered. But it's purely my responsibility to stay recovered.

I am so grateful to my teachers.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Boleo and Stevie--great posts.

I agree with what you both wrote. Just not drinking and attending 90 meetings in 90 days will not help the real alcoholic recover from our seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. Remove the alcohol, and the problem--our thinking and reaction to life--still exist and become worse in the person with a true alcoholic mind.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm recovered as long as I don't drink.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hmm I disagree with a lot of this.. granted I am new. If I consider myself "recovered", I worry that I will run the risk of getting arrogant and think it's not a problem anymore and requires no work. I would love to be totally recovered, but.then I think of those men and women with like 40 years of sobriety who relapse and do a ton of damage. I know a woman who thought she was recovered and the obsession has been lifted... But something drove her one day to drink some vodka. Next thing she knows, she's in the back of a police cruiser after hitting a kid in her car :-( if you think of alcoholism like an allergy, which I often do, you'll never get over an allergy.... I don't know, maybe I'm wrong!
Old 03-24-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The woman, by the way, had 42 years sober :-O