Avoiding others...

Old 08-29-2016, 12:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Avoiding others...

Whilst I've no problem in accepting that others may share their experience, strength and hope to help others, including themselves, otherwise I wouldn't be here...

I've always held true to the fact that sobriety is an individual responsibility, in which, by its very nature, there's an inherent risk of letting others, including obviously, alcohol, dictating the terms on which you lead your life...

Otherwise you run the risk of falling within the parameters of Einstein's definition of insanity.... which exists when you keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result!

The only thing we really have control over is our state of mind, which includes our opinions/judgement/ perception, we do not have control over our families, friends, colleagues, acquaintances (on or offline), the weather, the economy, our bodies ( albeit diet and exercise allow us to take care of them), the past, etc. etc.

On which basis I'd suggest Marcus Aurelius got it right when he said,'The object in life is not to follow the majority but to avoid joining the ranks of the insane'

'Insanity' in this case simply meaning those who are unable to think cognitively ( truth and reason).
Old 08-29-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Insanity' in this case simply meaning those who are unable to think cognitively ( truth and reason)."

And there are plenty of those around.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Thanks for reminding me ...

Which reminds me that it's perhaps good idea to also remember this from Marcus Aurelius,

'When you wake up in the morning tell yourself: The people I deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous and surly. They are like this because they can't tell good from evil.'

'Good' simply meaning to try to the best of your ability to be wise, temperate, avoiding excessive, irresponsible and excessive "passions, courageous, in your dealings with both others and yourself, and just...

'Evil' simply meaning to act shamefully towards others or yourself, sometimes both at the same time...

The tragedy in all this is that for some they will always be like this,...

Recovery, then means avoiding joining them...just a thought...
Old 09-23-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

But if you examine what people do vs what they say and then ask, of people "Can they report accurately on what they are doing? The answer is no, no, the poor sods cannot." - Bill Mollison.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This reminds me of Sartre's play, "L'enfer, c'est les autres". The idea being not necessarily that other people are h*ll, but that h*ll is negotiating trying to figure out what you look like/are to another.