A stark, sobering reminder!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Following he end of the BBC's blanket coverage of the Rio Olympic games here in the UK, a decision's been made to treat afternoon viewers to a re-run of some of its better quality series of sitcoms and documentaries.

The first of which , 'Three up, two down' I could vaguely remember but got a stark, sobering reminder when I saw one of the characters in it was an actor called Michael Elphick.

Aname perhaps not to familiar in the US but who acted in a number of films and was more well known here for his roles in television, his big hit series,'Boon' in which he played a former firefighter turned private investigator attracted millions of viewers.

The thing about Michael is we both share the same forenames and date of birth as near as dammit, albeit I'm four days older than him together with alcoholism!

Regrettably he died of a heart attack directly related to his drinking in 2002, two days before his 56th birthday...he'd admitted that at one stage he was drinking two litres of spirits a day!

Oddly enough I did sit near him in a beach side, open air restaurant on the Algarve in Portugal. Apparently he had a villa there, I was never that rich, both of us at that time, early to mid 90's unaware of, as regards our drinking, what ate had in store for us....

I remember seeing him once in his last role playing the 'love interest' to Peggy Mitchell, ironically the landlady of the 'Queen Vic' public house in 'Eastenders' a popular soap, still running, here in the UK. From which he was 'let go' apparently because of his drinking.

He didn't look well ... but then again , it's a progressive illness, before I got sober I was probably best described as 'one of the walking dead', the only person who didn't know it was me!

All this reminded me that the only thing we really have is our sobriety coupled with good mental health. The latter in my case best seen as 'a work in progress' but I'm getting there 'never say never' right...