Dealing with Resentments -- Resentment Level

Old 12-24-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I don't know where this dangerous notion of 'passive resentment' is coming from, but I can say that it's a toxic thought to keep with you.

When I think of the statement 'How Resentful Are you today?' It makes me feel as if it's assuming we should be resentful - usually one of the first signs that we are losing mental stability and emotional control. Additionally, how does one quantify their resentment without allowing ones self to experience the spectrum of quality to resentment?

What about 'How angry are you today'? Because in the long term anger is more of a healthy emotion, where resentment and discontent fall under destructive mental habits that can lead to long term impairments in judgement and thinking.

Most importantly:

In chemical dependency and rehabilitation, understanding that overcoming chemical dependency comes from ones own desire to do so. The desire for change will hence at least allow change to occur if the environmental conditions allow for the chemically dependent individual to change (as in enter a rehab). On the other hand it's very dangerous to force people into changing their ways, into entering rehab under a false guise or an intervention. It makes an assumption to that person that they have no say and that others view them as incapable of deciding their own choices anymore (whether its true or not is irrelevant, the emotional damage remains the same).

Definition of resentment, via google.com define:Resent
Resentment: feel bitterness or indignation at (a circumstance, action, or person).

It's not healthy to be resentful. Find out what's causing that and turn your numbers, whatever they be, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 resent, and turn it on it's head. Conquer your resentment and don't let it defeat you. You will likely fall back into dependency if you accept the idea that you have to be a bitter person.

I don't feel resentment right now and so my 'resentment level' is not applicable today or any other day. When I feel resentful, I conquer the emotion, discover why, and move on, never allowing it to affect me again. I do this because I don't like how people explode after bottling up their emotions.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well, for the common person resentments are hard to avoid at times. True, what's most important is how we deal or don't deal with them.

I have a space reserved today for our trailer.
Somebody is parked in the space.
Granted I'm a little early.
Must admit resentment level hit a 2 when I couldn't get right in.
Waiting calmly now and it's a .5
M-Bob
Old 01-23-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheGamer View Post

I don't feel resentment right now and so my 'resentment level' is not applicable today or any other day. When I feel resentful, I conquer the emotion, discover why, and move on, never allowing it to affect me again. I do this because I don't like how people explode after bottling up their emotions.
Sounds good Gamer but, as long as the spritual side of us is stuck in these fleshy bodies, I would gess that only a very, very small portion of ones that I have ever met can as you say, "move on, (never) allowing it to affect me again." Although I will admit -- that would be the goal for all of the holier ones that me.

Resentment level today 1
Ran into someone yesterday who I think? Wanted to ruffle my feathers?
Could also be that I read them wrong?
Probably happens more than I think.
Maybe they were having a bad day?
With the aches and pains of getting older -- I would understand that.
So maybe last night it hit a high of 3.
After praying for this person it is now a 1.

A nice sober day wished for all,
M-Bob
Old 01-23-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Well, for the common person resentments are hard to avoid at times. True, what's most important is how we deal or don't deal with them.

I have a space reserved today for our trailer.
Somebody is parked in the space.
Granted I'm a little early.
Must admit resentment level hit a 2 when I couldn't get right in.
Waiting calmly now and it's a .5
M-Bob

A nice update on that one.
Turned out the lady that did the booking messed up and we never did get our favorite (reserved) spot. Ended up right next to the guy that should have left earlier. When he heard that he had taken our spot he was very apologetic. I told him, "no big deal, I was totally happy with the space we had."

So during the next few days we talked at times and realized that we both lived in San Diego and he lived right down next to Mission Bay where I often ride bicycles. I asked him if he would like to join us on a ride sometime when we get back to town? He said, sure. Well, my best friend and he and I rode around Mission Bay together the other day.

No matter what kept the resentment level low
and made a new friend.

M-Bob
Old 01-23-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
Actually, I do have one resentment. Against another AA member. I enjoy the social aspects of AA and all that but feel I've been lied to. Nothing which affects me but I still find it annoying. What I resent is his attempts to drag me into AA or non-AA related drama. Enough is enough. Tell it to your therapist, sponsor or whomever but leave me out of it.
Beautiful!!

When did AA become a room full of people to share resentments and drama in so we could all feed into each other, anyway?

No more drama here for me. I won't even allow my sponsees to spew drama. I get them out of it right away. And when I have a resentment (when, not if, because it WILL crop up again, since the ego can be crushed but not fully rid of) I do a step 10 on it, see my part in the resentment, and take it to God.

The more 24 hours I experience, the more grateful I am for this way of living. I'm sure the people who deal with me are, too.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Got a family member who is running a muck.
Yes, after being clean and sober he went back out.
I'm very disappointed in this older 63 year old man disrupting his parents life.

Resentment level 2

Honestly, it's hard for me to believe that some say that they never have resentments.

Although I will admit -- not as plagued as before.

M-Bob
Old 02-02-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

What are some good tips on easing your mind when you start getting resentments...today mine is about 1. But some days I have a powerless feeling about some and they take over me and tend to blow up. I did start seeing a therapist so hopefully his sessions will help in the long run...but anything short term for tips would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-02-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Resentments are like

drinking poison and thinking that it will harm or get even with the person that we have a resentment against.

M-Bob
Old 02-13-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Resentment level -- not the best lately.

Jumps to 3 or 4 then with work back down to a 1 or 2.

Up and down, up and down and all around.

Not a pleasant ride at times.

M-Bob
Old 02-16-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Got an issue going on with a cornhole.

Resentment level has been jumping between 2 - 6.
Not healthy -- working on it -- easier said than done.

M-Bob
Old 02-16-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Serenity level -- much better -- 80%.

M-Bob
Old 02-18-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Although it's been jumping all over lately 2 or maybe 1.5

M-Bob
Old 02-19-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Been turning it over and giving it to God.

He (He) does best at fighting my battles.

Resentment level 0 -- 1

M-Bob
Old 04-01-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Dealing with one of those off the wall neighbors.
Thank God ALL of my other neighbors are cool (very cool).
Resentment level on a 1 to 10 scale -- 3.

A little history.

Noted -- we have a fairly large property here (one acre) fenced on only one side. On the opposite side of the fence a neighbor lives who has no respect for our property line. Several years back he came well onto our property (at least 25 ft.) and cut down approx. 8 to 10 endangered miniature manzanita trees (not suppose to be removed without permits), plus he had a very large trailer parked on our property. I confronted him regarding cutting down the trees and the man blamed it on his son (give me a break)! And then he said, "that he would replace the trees" -- which he never did. His word I see means nothing!

I know that now he has been throwing large construction waste on our property, so yesterday I went out front and placed 3 large concrete blocks on the property line that were marked -- Property Line. I had to move one large telephone pole of his over a little just to get one Marker in. Still some of his things are perturbing onto our property.

We will see how he reacts to the newly installed Markers? I'm keeping my cool here on a daily basis. In my old days of drinking this matter would have rocked my boat and I probably would have over reacted. Today sober, I can try my best to take CALM steps so as to remedy the situation.

M-Bob
Old 04-02-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Do I ever ride at 0 ?

Probably not often.

A nice sober day wished for all. M-Bob
Old 04-02-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

level 2

Got off the phone with a family member and felt good I didn't get baited into a deep discussion regarding my nephew.

Went to a meeting last night. Showed up just as the meeting was starting. I no longer hang out before/after meetings and shoot the shxt. Too much AA drama.

5 or 10 minutes after a meeting is fine and then it's bye-bye.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Carrying resentments can cause hardening of the heart.
M-Bob
Woah. That stopped me in my tracks. Very profound. I'm writing this into my big book. Thank you. I'm still connecting the dots I guess!!
Old 04-03-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

My Resentment Level today 1

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
Woah. That stopped me in my tracks. Very profound. I'm writing this into my big book. Thank you. I'm still connecting the dots I guess!!
Yes - Centered it's so true, although some claim to never get resentments -- I don't understand that world? People and things will rub us wrong occasionally but, we learn how to bring our resentments into perspective. Is there something that I need to act on? Maybe it's just best at this time to pray for the other person? Amazingly, this often works wonders.

They say that Resentments can cause a recovering one to at times return to drinking? I had that happen a time or two (once for sure). I wanted to show my ex wife how very displeased I was with her at around 3 years sober -- what better way (I thought), than going down to the store and bringing home a 6 pack of beer. I guess that it worked, we divorced not long after that!

Hang tight and keep studying this Liquid Devil thing.

My Resentment Level today 1.
For up top the mountain, that's (one) that I can work with.

M-Bob
Old 04-22-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Resentment level has been riding at around a 2.

People drive too fast on this old dirt road and someone ran over our dog.

Not sure at this time if Scruffy will pull through?

I hate that!

M-Bob
Old 04-24-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Had a 4 going on here yesterday and shared it with a neighbor -- not the best thing to do.

Resentment level on this early morning 1.

M-Bob