My Passion/Hobby in Recovery is..............

Old 06-22-2016, 01:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Passion/Hobby in Recovery is..............

Hi Guys

Somebody innocently asked me this today when I was working my 1st day at the Ops (charity) shop and all I could muster was that I had a dog.....lol.

I am in early recovery and would love to hear what others are up to, to get some ideas + inspiration.

Thanks in advance.

Jx
Old 06-22-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My biggest passion in life is my dogs and cats. I love taking care of them, especially walking my dogs. I love being responsible for their health and well being. When I was drinking, their care was kind of slip shod and not very good. Now I take care of them the right way and am rewarded with their love.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Reading, music and exercise.

Keep up the good work with your recovery.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Passion....Family. Hobby.... exercise.

Still searching for a hobby that is a passion. The real passion is the search for a passion for now. I have tried so many things in my 51 years.

I love my family, but the exercise...nto so much...

I do it because I want to be strong. It is the reason I stopped drinking.

Now, I am in pretty good shape. Next year I'll be in better shape...as long as keep going and push it a bit. I started taking a pre work out supp. It gives me so much energy.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

My current passion is an online video game, but I also take time for gardening/yard work and listening to podcasts about spirituality/enlightenment and/or recovery. Paul Hedderman is my current favourite.

Another passion was researching my husband's genealogy, but I haven't made time to work on it lately.

When I'm into exercising, it's weight training and bike riding.

So many things I could be doing and so little time to do it all.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Stoic philosophy ..

In my efforts to make spiritual progress over the years and almost by accident, I was thinking of something else when I remembered a saying by Marcus Aurelius, one of the noted proponents of my passion.

I now, to my delight find my passion in being a self directed student of the practices and principles of Stoic philosophy...Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius et al.

Not least because its basic tenets are strongly linked to the wording of the Serenity Prayer, which is often mentioned in books on the subject...
Old 06-22-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Taking care of my dog, reading literature, cooking, enjoying nature.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The biggest passion in recovery is well...my recovery. I have come to love taking care of myself- working out, tweaking my diet to get healthier and healthier, researching and taking vitamins and supplements, going to all my doctor's appointments and making sure my medications are the proper fit for what I am feeling and going through, going to counseling and learning healthy ways to deal with life, and just making sure I am super connected with my support system- my family.

I also love reaching out and helping others. I enjoy volunteering, talking to other's who are struggling in recovery, and getting involved in my church.

I have been really working on my spirituality. Reading different books, going through the bible, going to church and confession to free myself, meditation, working on praying when I am grateful not just upset, and just overall moving closer to God which is really important to me.

I also love planning for the future, being productive, and just moving forward. I make sure that I am as strong as I can be and I find joy and passion in seeing how far I have come. I keep a detailed journal so I can always go track my progress and see where my recovery is lacking.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Passion are my soon to be 1 year old son, my teaching, and hopefully my business ventures. I am committed to my passions and hobbies this makes it easier to be sober