Sparing others my excesses ...

Old 06-09-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Sparing others my excesses ...

It's true to say of myself that during my 'drinking history', which lasted about thirty years from my late twenties/ early thirties, I left two marriages whilst at the same time providing what emotional and financial support I could to the children of those unions. Together with three professional careers in which I achieved a reasonable measure of success..

In recovery I realised that I had been motivated to do so because, although it was perhaps not readily apparent at the time, alcoholism is a progressive illness. Whilst drinking it only gets worse, it never gets better...

What was apparent, as my drinking progressed, was that I couldn't understand why I couldn't stop drinking, as I do now in well over eight years in recovery.

Any regrets I may regarding events of the past, as previously described are stilled by the thought that I've answered my question, bearing in mind that alcoholism is the only illness that alcoholism, whilst drinking, is the only disease that'll kill you whilst at the same time telling you, you haven't got it.

Together with the fact that, my recovery which now includes a prolonged and hopefully lasting period of sobriety. If nothing else I spared my family, friends, colleagues and acquaintances being party to my drinking and what the end result what have been if I'd continued drinking...I don't think any further explanation is needed in that area.