Hitting bottom.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Hitting bottom.

Things get worse before they get better.

For those suffering from the disease of alcoholism it seems to be an almost universal truth that before things can get better, they have to get worse -- sometimes a lot worse.
They call it "hitting bottom" -- the place an alcoholic must reach before he finally is ready to admit that he has a problem and reaches out for help.

After all, for the true alcoholic, it doesn't seem to him (or her) that he has a problem. He's just having a good time. If everybody would just get off his back, everything would be okay. He's got a disease, but it sure doesn't seem like one and the last thing that would ever occur to him is that he needs help.

Because alcoholism is a progressive disease, there comes a point at which even the most dedicated drunk decides that there just might be a problem.

Alcoholism does not stay in one place.

It doesn't hit a certain stage and then level off. It keeps deepening, affecting him physcially, mentally, morally and spiritually. On all of those levels he keeps getting worse until finally he hits bottom.

So where is bottom? Nobody really knows.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Doug

Where is bottom?

For some, getting that first DUI might be where the turning point comes. Getting locked up, even for a few hours, and facing the public humiliation of a court date is for some the only signal they need they have a problem.

For others, however, 10 drunk driving arrests have no affect whatsoever. Driving without a license and frequent visits to the local jail don't phase them at all.

Alcoholics have lost driver's licenses, jobs, careers, girlfriends, wives, family and children and have continued to deny they have a drinking problem.

It was always somebody else's fault. His wife just didn't understand him. The only reason he got that DUI was because he was driving a red vehicle and cops watch for red vehicles. He wouldn't have all the problems he's got if it weren't for those MADD mothers!

His boss was a real pain to put up with anyway. His career as a professional was going nowhere fast and besides he enjoys selling used cars -- gets to meet more people.

Some alcoholics go on for many years denying their downward spiral into social, economic and moral decline. But every alcoholic has a "bottom" out there to hit. A place where even the hardest of the hardcore drinkers finally admit that their lives have become unmanageable.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Yes, yes and yes again Doug. Thank you.
Sticky.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Oh yes, the downward spiral. At the end, I was hanging with "friends" that I had nothing in common with except that they drank as much as I did, I was drinking "wine" that came in the economy size box because there would probably be some left for the next morning, and I was living a "life" that I wouldn't wish on anyone. It can be really painful to look back on those days but I HAVE to do it. I can't afford to pretend it never happened or that it wasn't really as bad as all that. It did, it was.

Jah Bless
Old 09-22-2004, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My bottom hit when I began to feel like the walking dead and I felt utter despair. I had admitted to my self 2 years prior to that that I was an alcoholic but could see no way out at the time and became resigned to the fact that I was going to drink myself to death. I believe i would have to if it wasn't for the help of my HP. I don't ever want to go back there again. I don't think I would be able to climb back out of that hole again.