Putting things into perspective...

Old 01-28-2016, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Putting things into perspective...

As the anniversary of my eighth year in sobriety approaches it doesn't seem unreasonable for me to put things, as regards my recovery into perspective.

I have no problem in recognising, for whatever is said about it, good, bad or indifferent, that the Fellowship of A A acts solely as a support organisation for 'problem drinkers'. Although in truth I never got anything like that from it and to my knowledge, no one ever got sober sitting at an A A meeting.

I don't have any problems with the first and last three suggested 12 Steps outlined in the program of recovery. I do have problems with the remainder, which as I understand it are based on the tenets of first century Christian philosophy, introduced through the Oxford Group which was the forerunner to the Fellowship of A A. Perhaps not least because the harm done to me in my drinking history by other people's selfish and irresponsible actions and behaviour. Later identified to me by someone highly qualified in dealing with, what is in fact a mental disorder known as 'autism'. Far outweighed anything done by me although I make no claim to be perfect only to being a human being. From which I learned that there is a certain inner peace to be gained from forgiving others but you don't have to forgive their actions towards you.

I've also learned a lot from the fundamental principles and practices of Buddhist philosophy/psychology. As the Dalai Lama said,'Buddhism is not a religion. It is the science of the mind.' The same applies , more recently, to Stoic philosophy, which is in its core linked to 'The Serenity Prayer' and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) bearing in mind what William Knauss, one of the pioneers of Cognitive Behaviour said,'What happened to you may not be your fault but it is your responsibility to think about it.'

Which seem an appropriate note on which to end this thread, offered simply by way of sharing my experience, strength and hope to help others, including myself, recover from alcoholism.

Keeping in mind that it's the only disease/illness that'll kill you, whilst at the same time telling you, you haven't got it! Which is as sound a perspective as any ....
Old 01-28-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

For the sake of completeness...

For the sake of completeness, I should add that the only mystery in all this is that following events that took place on the night of the 14/15th Feb., 2008, when I was alone and unaided and so debilitated by alcohol I couldn't even stand up. That my desire for alcohol was removed from me, a condition that exists to this day.

I can only offer , to myself and others, that this was by was an act of the God of my understanding, Divine Providence or the Spirit of the Universe....
Old 01-29-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing and congrats on your sobriety. It makes me hopeful
for my own journey.