Does humour ave its part to play in recovery?

Old 01-26-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Does humour ave its part to play in recovery?

Does humour have its art to play in recovery?

This question because recently whilst listening to my 'bootleg' copy of a live recording of one of ' Charlie & Joe's : Big Book Study Meetings', whilst addressing Sep 4, as a bit of light relief, two stories amongst the many, obviously funny but fictional, were told ...

For the purpose of this thread, and not least because I've heard other noted AA speakers use it before, I'll repeat one here...

A young lady in recovery was addressing Step 4, when she approached her sponsor seeking guidance on ow to conduct her sex life. Quite rightly he directed her to the advice offered on page 69 of the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' (4th Ed.)

Regrettably she inadvertently read page 96! I'll leave those who read this thread to draw their own own conclusions....perhaps to be followed by tyheir own constructive comments and criticism.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lol, oh yes I can see the humor there. I insist on being happy in recovery. I'm silly by nature and don't consider it a defect of character! I'm in the process of getting a new sponsor. The one I've had has 35 years of sobriety, is dead serious and has never laughed out loud if laughs at all. I don't want what they have.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

We are not a glum lot

My sponsor pointed 69/96 out to me early on - yes, funny! I do appreciate a wry sense of humor indeed.......Otherwise, what's the point?

At times the humor is found in small things that are pointed out which are true - for example - did you know that the short form of the second tradition is longer than the long form of the second tradition? Check it out........

I suppose that's more trivia, but It's amusing when the question is framed properly
Old 01-29-2016, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love a bit of humour and if I'm in a good place I try and include a little here and there in my posts. I'm very dry though so I probably end up only humouring myself.

I know it should be obvious but I really don't get the AA joke. :-(
Old 01-29-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is often said that the debate of drug/alcohol abuse is discussed with fiery passion as its something close to our hearts and minds as people. Humor is nature's free drug, so I don't turn it down. The ecstasy of laughing can take the pain of a craving away for me. When it comes to patients themselves and their situations, I almost think there is a line that moves but should be respected. It's not fun to live in a world as a former drug abuser if people know that about me, as people who know tend to treat me differently than those who didn't. Those that find out begin to treat me similarly to those that always knew. It's... wrong, but, those are people without abuse issues, so how can they have any inclination at all toward how it feels to recover?

TL; DR
As long as it's healthy humor, why not? If it's at the expense of another, then I see problems.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Attitude and sense of humor being part of it have been important to me. I remember when I went through the recovery process, being able to laugh. Its a turning point to be able to see things differently.

Not familiar with the book references.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Perhaps ...

As recovery,from virtually anything, centers in the mind, I think developing a sense of humor, particularly in returning to be able to think cognitively ( truth and reason) including perhaps the ability to not take the world and yourself to seriously. Is as very positive sign....

' Very little is needed to make a happy life, it's all within yourself in your way of thinking,' - Marcus Aurelius...