Peace of mind...

Old 10-21-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Peace of mind...

Alcoholism is often referred to as, the disease of perception and, the disease of ignorance...both these things center in the mind.

So I liked this quote I came across today so much I thought, with all the controversy that goes on about recovery, addiction to alcohol and alcoholism. With many being ignorant of the difference between, the former, an addiction, affecting about 90% of those generally referred to as alcoholics and the latter, a mental obsession and a physical allergy. Affecting the remaining 10%.

' If you want peace, stop fighting.

If you want peace of mind, stop fighting your thoughts.' - Peter McWilliams.

Reflected in the words in the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous', 'We are no longer fighting anyone or anything.'

Which begs the question, why some still do? When the whole object of recovery from either addiction to alcohol or alcoholism, is to bring that very thing, peace of mind.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

As long as we are on this subject, have you got around to learning about "apatheia" yet?

Old 10-21-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I wonder if all would agree the object of recovery is peace of mind? It seems some are after correction of poor circumstances - economic insecurity/job for example. Sobriety can provide monetary relief but not peace, perhaps.

My peace of mind increase slowly as the pall of this world clears and I can see it for what it truly is - an illusion. I suppose most equate happiness with peace of mind, no?

I like the second part of the serenity prayer, often overlooked. Especially - ,,,,that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with him forever and ever in the next.

Today I am sober and reasonably happy......what more could I possibly need?

Thanks for the post
Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Redmayne- i really like that quote- says a lot!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
My peace of mind increase slowly as the pall of this world clears and I can see it for what it truly is - an illusion. I suppose most equate happiness with peace of mind, no?

Today I am sober and reasonably happy......what more could I possibly need?
I see hundreds of people in recovery pursuing happiness and then dropping like flys because it comes with an emotional hangover.

Today what I need more than just bare bones sobriety is "equanimity" (aka apatheia).

Old 10-21-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
...the whole object of recovery from either addiction to alcohol or alcoholism, is to bring that very thing, peace of mind...
The object of my recovery from addiction/alcoholism was sobriety--freedom from alcohol.

(o:
Old 10-21-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I see hundreds of people in recovery pursuing happiness and then dropping like flys because it comes with an emotional hangover.

Today what I need more than just bare bones sobriety is "equanimity" (aka apatheia).

Happiness is not a pursuit for me but a by product of prayer and meditation.

It is good you get what you need, I am truly happy for you!
Old 10-21-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm with Noelle on this one. I needed freedom from alcohol. I needed to get back to baseline.

Peace of mind is ideal. I think we'd all love to have it. And by staying sober, I ensure that I do at least have a chance of attaining it.

I think a big part of sobriety for me was "growing up" in the sense of maturing emotionally, and accepting that reality can be harsh, can be a roller coaster at times, and there will be some really bad days where I lose that peace of mind temporarily. And knowing I can get back that equilibrium by staying sober ... that's all I need.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I needed freedom from alcohol. I needed to get back to baseline.
Baseline for me was restless, irritable and discontentedness. Without equanimity, I would go stark raving sober.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, notice I didn't say my baseline was ideal It's just that, a baseline. Peace of mind comes via hard work, change, shifts in perspective, acceptance, and gratitude.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Peace of mind comes via hard work, change, shifts in perspective, acceptance, and gratitude.
Refuge Recovery is designed to address the peace of mind aspect of recovery. Just as Eskimo's have many names for snow because it is vital for their survival, Buddhism has many names for it as well;

Nirodha
Moksha
Nibbana
Shoshin
ZaZen
Mushin
Old 10-21-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

OOPS!

When I said Buddhism has many names for "it", I meant peace of mind, not snow.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."
- Frank Zappa
Old 10-21-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Apatheia...

Thank to all who've contributed to this thread by way of constructive comment and criticism, always the best way to contribute to anything.

As a follower of Stoic philosophy, I particularly like the reference to apatheia (equanimity) , which particularly refers to the avoidance of unhealthy excessive and irresponsible "passions", which, reflecting on my drinking history, particularly resonated with me...
Old 10-22-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Redmayne

What Marcus said...

I must admit, in recovery, remembering this, said by Marcus Aurelius, along with Epictetus and Seneca, one of the three great Stoic philosophers, greatly assists my peace of mind...

'When you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: The people I deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, , jealous and surly. They are like this because they can't tell good from evil.'

I interpret the inability to tell good from evil as simply meaning they can't think cognitively (truth and reason) at the same time noting that an observer said that this may be attributed to their culture or false thinking. The tragedy in all this, is for some, they'll always be like this.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

My goal was like Noelle ' s and Jenny's. I knew I was in trouble with my drinking and needed to stop. It wasn't until my brain had started to recover that I realized just how traumatic of an injury I had sustained, and that was only in hindsight. Like Jenny, my baseline might be a little off, but I am quite capable of readjusting with some good long sobriety.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Redmayne

That really resonated with me...

Thank you for this useful and inspiring post, it resonated with me and I'm sure any others reading i

Primarily for its honesty and credibility, you can't buy or fake that!