Lessons in sobriety...

Old 10-19-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Lessons in sobriety...

I have always liked the idea that my disease/illness is called alcohol-ISM, the alcohol being but a symptom, the -ISM's being life itself, hopefully to be lived in prolonged and lasting sobriety.

Whilst at the same time believing it's not the duration of my sobriety that matters, but how well, as a person, I live it! To put it more simply, quality always beats quantity.

In learning to live in sobriety, it then became apparent that part of the adventure in doing that was, after living the delusional life lead over many years in my drinking days was in itself going to be a challenge.

To which I was drawn in my interest in the ancient philosophy of Stoicism or 'street philosophy' where it was originally taught, as opposed to some dry, academic institution. Which again believes it's not the duration of our lives that matters but how nobly we live them.

Tis 'nobility' stemming from the idea thast all we can do, to the best of our ability is try to be wise, temperate, courageous and just, the rest being God, Providence including Divine Providence or the Spirit of the Universe's business.

Temperate, to include the avoidance of 'apathe' i.e. excessive, unhealthy, irresponsible "passions", which certainly with me, reflecting on my actions and behaviour in my drinking days, resonated with me!

I also like Marcus Aurelius , one of the great Stoic philosophers, along with Epictetus and Seneca, in his book,'Meditations' saying,'Waste no time arguing what a good man should be - be a good man!'

I hasten to add that Stoic philosophy and philosophers have always not only welcomed but encouraged women!

Evidenced in Patrick Ussher's book,'Stoicism Today:Selected Writings' and on the website of the same name, in the number of female contributors.

Personally speaking, there were a number of obvious benefits to be found in my recovery, health, finances, etc. but in actually dealing with the -ISM's I've found many great lessons in all this, that enhances it in ways I couldn't have imagined...