SoberRecuperating

Old 10-25-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
All decisions occur naturally and without struggle. :
That is my experience. The result of the steps was a spiritual experience, the result of which was that I just naturally began behaving in a different way. No struggle, no daily decision to not drink. The problem was removed as promised. Like Robbyrobot, I couldn't care less about alcohol.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
quat

I don't make a daily a decision to drink or not. I made the decision to be permanently abstinent(my Big Plan) after realizing that being abstinent required it of me. Sounds a little circular , but true nonetheless. It just 'hit me' that if I wanted to quit , leave the hell of alcoholic drinking behind forever, the way to get there was to decide to quit and mean it. Not try and stop to get out from under the consequences of drinking and then hope I wouldn't 'talk' myself back into drinking in some future time, but decide to quit for good, for real , no matter what.
Finally had had enough, sick and tired of being sick and tired , or however I describe my motivation at that time , making the realization for the need to make that decision was like an epiphany.
In the time since making that decision I'd say I've been 'spiritually awakened', though not necessarily being able to define a specific time or 'event' where I can pin point what I would describe as a turning point , but I can now say I feel that drinking or alcohol in general, simply doesn't matter, certainly not on a daily basis. Looking back over roughly two years , it seems that has always been the case, I do remember the unpleasantness of the first few days/weeks of battling a loud AV , along with physical and psychological effects .
I guess I've just become accustomed to the Fact that I am a nondrinker. That is not to say that I don't appreciate the differences and enjoy the freedom that ending an addiction brings , not to mention the satisfaction, at times, of contemplating my own badassery. I'd describe it as being 'comfortable' in my own 'new' skin , which I believe comes from having made and living by that all important decision. One no one else but ourselves can make and one without which quitting can't happen. No matter how you come to that decision , you must get there , all the way.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post

... making the realization for the need to make that decision was like an epiphany.
In the time since making that decision I'd say I've been 'spiritually awakened', though not necessarily being able to define a specific time or 'event' where I can pin point what I would describe as a turning point , but I can now say I feel that drinking or alcohol in general, simply doesn't matter
Exactly my point. Getting to a place where a decision, a choice or any other kind of a struggle is unnecessary... is the real goal of "recovery". That is an entirely different ball game than struggling with making the correct decision ODAAT like Sisyphus pushing a bolder up hill for eternity.

You likened it to an "epiphany" and I sometimes do to. Some choose to call it a spiritual awakening or a release from the obsession (Moksha is my favorite term). I recognize that different people do get there in different ways, but I also recognize that those who do get "there", are far more likely to stay "there", than those who stop short of that objective/goal/milemarker.

What I am saying is; we should stop talking about not-drinking ODAAT and start talking about long term solutions that are both comfortable and reliable enough to be considered "recovered".