I Was Tina Turner's White Dancer.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I Was Tina Turner's White Dancer.

Was the title of an interview with Anne Behringer I listened to recently on the radio. Tina Turner's white dancer in her touring band at the height of her fame as a solo stage performer in the 1990's.

During the course of the interview it became apparent that, on her own admission, she came from a long line of alcoholics suffering from 'the disease' as she herself was.

Only taking up the position on two conditions, one, she wouldn't cut her hair, two, she wouldn't participate in any drink or drugs taking.

Conditions enthusiastically accepted by her employer, Tina Turner.

She then spent the first four months of her recovery on tour with the temptation of the availability of alcohol and drugs being readily available throughout, she remained sober.

Continuing to do so and attending AA meetings whilst doing so.

Both during and after tours she returned to education, gaining a Masters in therapy, specializing in substance abuse. At one stage, together with her first husband, opening a highly successful rehabilitation center.

She continues to work in this field and is still, presumably in her spare time dancing.

Listening to all this, I was struck by her honesty and openness of both her and her employer in not only dealing with her own recovery, but as many others do, sharing her experience, strength and hope to help others recover from the disease/illness of alcoholism. An example to us all.

Simply the best!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very powerful! Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Thank you...

Thank you, it all confirms William Knauss, one of he pioneers of behavioural therapy, saying,'What happened to you may not be your fault, but it is your responsibility to think about it.'
Old 09-29-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tina famously drank a Glass of Champagne from a different Glass every night at her Home in the South of France; primarily to celebrate her freedom from abusive Husband 'Ike'. She never struck me in these old Interviews as one predisposed to excess, however. Too disciplined for such nonsense.

Good on Anne Behringer for Fighting The Good Fight.

- Anne Behringer Interview ~ The Fix - 2013 -

Here's a timely 1990 Article on Rock Contract Riders - the time period of focus here - and changing attitudes even back then...

- Bands On The Run Have Cleaned Up Their Acts ~ The NY Times -