If you are in recovery and get a headache

Old 09-01-2004, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Charlie's Angel

If you are in recovery and get a headache

a bad one or a tooth-ache what do you do? AH (who is in recovery now 11 months) doesn't do anything or take anything and I feel so bad for him sometime, but there is nothing I could do.

What if the dr prescribed you something, maybe tylenol or something would that work?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Cangel - if your husband doesn't want to take anything, then I say kudos to him. Pain can be a big trigger for a lot of recovering addicts and he is obviously following what he believes is the best course for his recovery. I wouldn't interfere with that, no matter how bad you feel for him. It's his pain, let him deal with it his way. If the idea of his pain bothers you so much that you may try to coax him into using something for it, perhaps it would be best to busy yourself with other things until he is feeling better.

Hugs!
Old 09-01-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have chronic arthritus, and sometimes get terrible migraines. I use over the counter pain relief. advil, tylenol, or alleve. The thing is that I don't take them every time I get a little ache or pain. I try soime relaxation methods first or use a heat pad, sometimes a hot shower. If it gets real bad I would go se my doctor and try to find out if there are any other alternatives. I might if necessary use a prescribed narcotic painkiller for a limited time, but I would let my sponsor and family know what was going on. We didn't get clean to suffer unreasonably.

If your hubby is having frequent episodes with pain and can find a method of dealing with it that he is comfortable with, it certainly isn't as though he is using for the buzz.
Please pass along my congrats on his clean time.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dax

Imitrex works great for migraines. It is by precription only. I an not an alcoholic so can't be sure but I think it would be safe to take. A doctor would know. It is not a pain killer. nonaddictive. It works on the blood vessels in the head. dax

Last edited by dax; 09-10-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

best thing I have found is Goodys or BC powders if the stomach can take it. Hugs, Magic