Recently quit drinking but having problems

Old 08-02-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recently quit drinking but having problems

I'm not sure if I'm posting on the right forum - if not please tell me. My husband has ongoing health problems and he used beer to help him sleep, he drank 3 every night for years. He had a health issue and was admitted to the hospital and at the same time stopped drinking. That was about 3 weeks ago. Since he has been home he is having a hard time going to sleep and/or staying asleep. He also has anxiety when he wakes up in the night. He has other health issues (emphysema, chronic pain) so I'm not sure if his inability to sleep and his anxiety are due to stopping beer or the other health issues! Do any of you know if anxiety and sleep less ness are common after stopping alcohol? If so, how long does that last? He takes ambien and that seems to do nothing.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

You're join date struck me and I looked back as several of your threads. Many deal with this same question in one form or another.

May I ask, do you have issues with alcohol? I glanced at posts on your threads but the titles are very similar and deal with your husband and withdrawl. Lots of good info dating back several years on those threads.

Many here find ways to deal with loved ones alcoholism from a standpoint of taking care of yourself. Enabling and codependency are issues many have to deal with as well.

Hope you will consider taking care of yourself while caring for your AH
Glad you're here with us....
Old 08-02-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank alcohol in excess for several years and iam in recovery. The first few weeks Will be hard as he may be deficient in many vitamins and minerals that are essential for sleep. I take a protein shake supplement that has amino acids and B vitamins....very helpful with sleep. I literally sleep all night when I take this supplement and my alcohol cravings are very manageable. The anxiety I felt at first is getting better over time...advice him to focus on healthy nutrition and abstain from alcohol...as his brain heals, most of his issues will resolve
Old 08-02-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind replies! I don't have any substance problems, I never have. That's good to know about the protein shakes! He is taking several multi vitamins (plus extra B1, folic acid, etc.) but maybe the protein shake would help also! Maybe amino acids would help. Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
waking down

When I quit drinking my anxiety was what kept me awake. Valerian root helped me sleep. It can be found at most grocery stores with vitamins and supplements. Some warn that it is addictive, but I had no problem quitting it. I actually took it in the morning for anxiety, and again at night. After a couple of weeks I was only taking it as needed, and after a month I use it rarely and lately not at all. It seems to help stop obsessive thinking patterns that kept me awake. I think I don't need it now because I meditate half an hour daily.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've never heard of Valerian root. I'll google it. I already went to the store and bought him some protein shake drinks to try. If he likes them and if they work I'll get more at Costco. They are expensive! P.S. - I looked up Valerian Root and although it does look it like it could help with anxiety, he can't take it because of interaction with another prescription he takes. Darn! Thanks anyway, and maybe others can use Valerian root!

Last edited by aGrandma; 08-02-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: I googled Valerian root and found side-effects
Old 08-02-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A really natural sleep aid is Montmorency cherry juice! It works for me..
See article below for more information about the science.

Study: Tart Cherry Juice Increases Sleep Time in Adults with Insomnia | Choose Cherries