The gift of recovery...

Old 06-28-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The gift of recovery...

During the course of my recovery, I read Richard Beard's book, 'Becoming Drusilla' subtitled,'One journey, two friends, three genders.' The true story of his friend, Andrew Philips 'journey' via Gender Replacement Surgery into becoming Drusilla Philips, the person she always was...a journey not to be undertaken by the faint hearted. Perhaps like recovery...

At the start of the book there was a line by Robert Burns, the famous Scottish poet,

'O wit Pow'r the Gift tae gi' us,

Tae see Oursels' as others see us.'

To which Dru' had added,

'The Giftie would be greater far,

If people saw us as we really are.'

Using that, I've often reflected, in recovery that the gift, for us all, now free from leading the delusional life of an alcoholic. Is that it provides , for others and ourselves the opportunity to be and therefore to be seen, by all, including ourselves as we really are...

In which, I'm the first to admit, I had to recognise and accept some hard truths about myself and my perception of the world and life as it really is...

Very much akin as to my having to recognise and admit my alcoholism in order to even get into recovery and receive the gift of, in sobriety being able to let others and myself see me as I really am...

Building on this, it allowed me, without any excuse for lack of talent or aptitude to display, although I'm not perfect those virtues which are wholly in all our own power, integrity, dignity, self denial, contentment, frugality, kindness,m independence, simplicity, discretion, magnanimity and hard work.

This list provided by ,Marcus Aurelius, on of the nova's of Stoic philosophy, I'm not that vain or good and make no claim to perfection, I just try to make progress and like Soko Morinaga in the subtitle of his book,'Novice to Master' am always conscious of the fact, in recovery, I'm still a part of an ongoing lesson in the extent of my own stupidity... which is a prime incentive for appreciating, the gift of recovery.