Getting more use from my enemies....

Old 06-21-2015, 12:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Getting more use from my enemies....

' A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool does his friends,' - Baltasar Gracian.

In the early stages of my recovery, which as for us all, consisted of recognition and acceptance of my alcoholism I learned from the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' in the chapter titled,'The Doctor's Opinion' that I suffered from a two fold illness/disease consisting of a physical allergy and a mental obsession, with in chapter 3,'More About Alcoholism' the first reference to my being a 'real alcoholic' followed by a fuller description of that term, and with which I and others could identify.

Which provided a prime example of the above quote.

Further enhanced by hearing the noted A A speaker, Clancy Imislund tell, how in his early days of recovery, his sponsor told him that if his problem was alcoholism, his problem wasn't alcohol, which was just a symptom of the disease/illness of alcoholism!

These two facts, together with further education from notable, highly respected, well recognised sources helped my in knowing the exact nature of my disease/illness of alcoholism, so that fully armed with the facts. I was able to get more use from my enemy, an enemy that lived inside me and in its insidious, self destructive way, blighted my life for many, many years. As it does to anyone, who is, like me and as described in chapter 3 of the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous', as previously referred to.

On the same basis, I take no issue with those who are generally referred to as alcoholics, identified by way of their addiction to alcohol. Addiction being defined as - 'The fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance or condition'. Not said by me, without compassion, more because it covers a broad and diverse spectrum of both substances and activities, some of which are harmless and can be cured.

Balanced against alcoholism, which can't, it's effects can only be arrested by total abstinence of the symptom, alcohol. Failure to do so more often than not, resulting in insanity or death. Proof of which I'm aware of in those I've known and am aware of, including, nearly myself!

So, on the basis of simply sharing my experience, strength and hope I'd suggest that the above quote has a lot, in recovery, to offer any of us....
Old 06-21-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My once friend, now enemy: alcohol.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A Disease of Perception...

Thanks for that, not least as alcoholism is often, and quite rightly in my view born out of others and my own experience. A disease/illness of ignorance affecting both the drinker and those surrounding them...

I've also, again quite rightly , heard it referred to as a Disease of Perception, in which alcohol, which is but a symptom is initially looked upon as both the 'cure' and the problem...

As recovery from both alcoholism and addiction is centered in the mind, a change in perception as to both brings about both abstinence and recovery, together with many other benefits...

'Men are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of those things,' Epictetus ( AD50 - 120, Greek philosopher)