Well worth remembering...

Old 06-09-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Well worth remembering...

In posting this thread, I take no issue with the paths or programs followed by others and wish them, in recovery, well in what they seek.

Personally, I adhere to and have great belief in the suggested 12 Step program of recovery to be found in Chapter 5, 'How It Works' of the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' p.58, 4th Ed.

That said I came across the following in one of my favourite books, kept in my case, close to hand...which resonated with me.

And by way of following the AA philosophy of sharing my experience, strength and hope in an effort to help others recovery from alcoholism I thought it worth repeating here,

' Sometimes you'd best keep quiet about what you know.

Fast as light within, but outside, let's take her one step at a time.'

'Messiah's Handbook - Reminders for the Advanced Soul' , Richard Bach.

Which accords also with the idea of taking one day at a time and the AA mottoes, to be found on the previously referred to book, p.135,

'First things first

Live and let live

Easy does it'

It also suggest, for me at least, in recovery it's best not to stray to far from my roots, or indeed by lead by others...perhaps because in Richard Bach's book, there is also to be found the following,

'The first step in de-hypnotising yourself, is to realize you've been hypnotised in the first place.'

Which for me at least, referring to my alcohol and my misguided belief that alcohol was a necessary part of my existence as opposed to it being a symptom of an illness/disease that will always be part of me, but can be dealt with by total abstinence. This achieved by pursuance of and adherence to the aforementioned, suggested 12 Step program, of recovery is like both the steps in the quotes I've mentioned well worth remembering.