That's what got me here...

Old 05-31-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

That's what got me here...

Personally speaking, in recovery, I've found, difficult as it is sometimes, it's best not to take life and people, to seriously., Reminding myself that, that's what got me here in the first place...

On the other hand I take my recovery and others, quite seriously, moderating it by sharing and learning from the experience, strength and hope of others, including my own..

This to be found on here, in my eclectic taste in reading and observing others, the latter based on the idea that I'm always grateful to those who disturb me for they make me choose the person I don't want to be. I'm sure others can add their own areas of learning to this...from their own experience, strength and hope.

Life and recovery , are a classroom, in which my own self reliance and experience based on what I've already said, now play a substantial part...
Old 05-31-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Taking things too seriously or too personally is an ongoing issue for me. When I first quit drinking it was a level 10 problem. Now it's just intermittent. It creates too much negativity in my mind when I do it and I usually just end up angry.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The word 'negativity' ...

Thank you, the word 'negativity' in your constructive comment, really resonates with me, perhaps because it's widely accepted that those suffering the effects of alcoholism often have the common traits of fear, guilt, low self esteem and self loathing.

Recovery and abstinence go a long way towards getting rid of those traits, although I've found it's case of 'old habits, die hard', so it's not an overnight thing nor easy, but sharing hope, strength and experience assists greatly in dispelling them together with whatever else, as an individual, assists in providing a positive approach to life and self worth. The latter being a vital quality to us all...

Regrettably, from experience, there are , who misguidedly, to many who try to tear us down. When in truth, they aren't tearing us down, but trying to build themselves up! A fact worth remembering...balanced against the fact that they often prove to be self absorbed individuals who end up either in the company of others of others of a similar nature and have no interest in them anyway, for obvious reasons or on their own.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I take a 93 year old to meetings and he is full of wisdom. He always says, "I've learned to listen and I listen to learn"