Can drug addicts drink safely?

Old 06-22-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
My experience being in recovery for 30 plus years screams a very big NO.

Yet I'm willing to put that NO on the fence temporarily and hear other people's thoughts on this. Reason being that I'm increasingly encountering people who go through drug programs, yet after being totally clean for several months, start drinking. And claim to be doing fine. I can't judge because I don't know these people well enough, and only time will tell... But, yeah... To me this was always nothing more than switching seats on the Titanic. Some did actually survive that though .

Interestingly, the subject came up again for me this morning driving a friend to work. His son was in a 2 year (I believe) intensive drug program, and has been out now for a few years. That statistic thing came up again as my friend said his son is doing excellently, and brought up the fact that this particular treatment center has an 80% success rate. As we continued conversing he mentioned that his son drinks, but doesn't do any drugs at all. His life however is very on track, he just got a full scholarship to grad school, he's supporting himself...

I'm perplexed. What gives?
Where is the phenomenon of craving? Perhaps there is a difference between an alcoholic and an addict after all.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It seems to work for Keith Richards. AFAIK, he's sober from opiates, but he never stopped drinking and smoking marijuana. Of course, it's arguable that he's drinking safely, but he is still alive, and has not had a liver transplant.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

When i stopped doing cocaine 3 years i was still heavy drinking if anything i started drinking more
Old 06-23-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Pointless....

With a drinking history of about 30 years behind me and now well over seven years of sobriety, looking this from an ethical, moral, mental, physical and spiritual point of view...based on my own personal experience.

Taking my lead from Buddhist text, found in the Dalai Lama's,'The Little Book of Buddhist Wisdom,' the following comes to mind,

'Anything that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned'

'Certain physical illnesses improve or worsen according to the state of mind,'

As both alcohol, which is a drug by any other name, and drugs per se do both these things, other than those medically prescribed drugs. A question of the taking of which, I presume is not in contention here, and based on my own knowledge and experience I'd not only say,'no' but why, metaphorically speaking,'fix a wheel that ain't broken?' Pointless...
Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Can drug addicts drink safely? That would depend on whether they are alcoholic or not.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Why bother?

The difference between those who suffer from addiction to drugs, which includes alcohol, which is a drug in itself and those who suffer from the disease/illness of alcoholism, in which alcohol is but a symptom being?

As I understand it, alcoholism is a two-fold illness/disease comprising of a physical allergy and a mental obsession...

Whereas an addiction, to anything, including drugs and alcohol is simply a mental obsession...

Which suggests that drug addicts may be able to drink alcohol, unless they do in fact suffer from alcoholism...which begs the question, which can only be answered by the individual, 'is it a risk worth taking?'

Balanced against the risk of the likely consequences...faced with the same challenge, I'd have to ask myself,'Why bother?'
Old 06-24-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post

Which suggests that drug addicts may be able to drink alcohol, unless they do in fact suffer from alcoholism...which begs the question, which can only be answered by the individual, 'is it a risk worth taking?'
Alcohol always reduces your inhibitions even in small quantities. It increases the chance that you will take risks.

For an addict there is an obvious risk that looks attractive.

My opinion? Given the costs associated with relapse drink can't be a good option for an addict. Even if the addict never becomes an alcoholic.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Aside from alcohol being a drug: I knew a person who seemed to do that. But, before and after stopping opiates he would only drink one beer on occasion because he liked the taste of it or because it was a "cold one" on a hot day. It was a completely different animal than the drugs.

Maybe, if to the addict, alcohol serves a similar purpose of medicating themselves than they are likely to have a problem with alcohol.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hmm I find this really interesting too! I have family members who went through rehab and methadone etc now clean from all drugs except alcohol, and while I'd probably suggest they drink a few too many, more than the 'average' social drinker, none of them seem to have a serious problem. At least, they don't think they do.

I would've thought addiction to one drug ruled them all out, but my family would disagree

I'd be interested to learn more about this
Old 07-25-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The drug addicts I knew all drank. They seemed to drink more when they were "trying" to stay away from drugs, but then that always led to a drug relapse.

If I were to guess (which I'm going to), I'd say that drug addicts who seem to drink safely either aren't drinking safely or maybe alcohol just doesn't "do it" for them, so they don't develop a second addiction.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't know.

I do know that I have found sobriety to be a lot easier, more effective, more complete and fulfilling by neither drinking nor drugging.

So, I'ma stick with that.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It didn't work for me.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm sure addicts can drink safely. It all just depends on what their "vice" of choice is.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I can not.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm the other way, an alcoholic who can't ever drink again, but occasionally smoke weed (like maybe once a year if offered a drag) with no problems. I used to take all manner of drugs in my teens, but at age 18, quit without a second thought, no withdrawals, no cravings. I've been on strong prescription drugs over the years (antipsychotics, antidepressants etc) which are apparently highly addictive, never got addicted and am now on no meds whatsoever. But give me a drink and I'll be lost in the wilderness for another ten years.

This is JUST MY experience, though. I wouldn't advise drugs or alcohol for a happy, healthy life. And I'm not gonna tempt fate by going out and buying some cocaine - my addictive nature cannot be trusted.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Carver, I couldn't seem to get away with that. Though I never had any problems with other drugs, there was this one time when I was dry and had some weed at the suggestion of some well meaning friends. A drink was down my neck in seconds. I don't know how that works, but mind altering chemicals seem to have the instant effect of making me think I can drink.

So though I never had a drug problem as such, I can't safely take drugs or alcohol.