Stay close...

Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Stay close...

Accepting that in my drinking days, I did, like many others in that position suffer the common traits of fear, guilt, self loathing and low self esteem, this whilst I was what others refer to as a 'high functioning alcoholic' who pursued three professional careers, as far as I was concerned. I was a drunk, evidence in itself of the presence of those traits I've already referred to...

Having recognised and accepted my alcoholism, an achievement, balanced against all the others, in itself. The demolition of pride and self will, played a big part in my recovery, to be followed by humility heavily flavoured with a big helping of 'humble pie'. I guess we've all eaten some of that. The process of recovery could begin...at which point I take no issue with others programs or paths to recovery, if it works for you, you'll get nothing more than my heartfelt admiration.

One of the aspects, in what I see now as the most enjoyable, exciting and challenging in recovery in which I've learned much about others and myself. Has been the slow, almost imperceptible return of self worth in me as a person no longer reliant on alcohol providing a crutch to help me face the realities of life...

In which I now, as many others do rejoice on a daily basis, with the dawn of each new day...allowing me,in recovery to explore many aspects of life I'd never dreamed of before.

That said and returning to what for me is a very important aspect of mine and others , in recovery, self worth, a subject in itself of which much has been written. I came across the following anonymous quote today which I think reflects my view of anyones recovery, including my own and the strength to be found in it, whatever path or program they choose,

'Stay close to anything that makes you glad to be alive'

Something which, in a nutshell, speaks volumes for all of us...
Old 05-21-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Academy of Awesome!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Where's the music?

Where's the music?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I2MHj1iDIU

You know me so well
Old 05-22-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post, Redmayne.

Loved your responses, silentrun.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Of the best kind...

Lol, that 'silent run' is a 'little minx' of the best kind...
Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
Lol, that 'silent run' is a 'little minx' of the best kind...
Truly.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
waking down

Funny, there were many years when I kept beer, wine and whiskey close for that very reason, and the only reason I no longer keep them close is they stopped working for me. There was a shift from alcohol making me glad to be alive to alcohol making me wish I were dead.

I would maybe add a caveat: Stay close to anything that makes you glad to be alive, unless it starts killing you.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Redmayne

At your suggestion...

As, AT YOUR SUGGESTION, I added you to my 'Ignore Contact' list weeks ago, I'm unable to respond to you post...which if past performance is to go by, adds nothing by way of constructive comment or criticism, sorry.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
As, AT YOUR SUGGESTION, I added you to my 'Ignore Contact' list weeks ago, I'm unable to respond to you post...which if past performance is to go by, adds nothing by way of constructive comment or criticism, sorry.
Huh...? Who ya talkin' to there, Red......? ...a 'PM' perhaps, certainly not someone who posted in this thread..... )o: none that I could see, at least.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 05-25-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Redmayne

No problem...

No problem, others have obviously enjoyed this thread and added their own constructive comment or criticism, always welcome...regrettably there is a small, easily identifiable element of those who consistently seek to de-rail or intervene, presumably because they're incapable, usually because they're self absorbed, of either posting their own threads or responding to others.

I didn't, as I'm sure many others didn't either, get sober for this. I got sober, as again I'm sure they did, to enjoy both my sobriety and my life! A perfectly valid point so often missed by these individuals....

I'm not responsible for them, I'm responsible for me, it's 'a selfish program' right! And every credible recovering alcoholic knows that or otherwise, what are they sharing their experience, strength and hope for, other than to help others and in doing so, help themselves?
Old 05-25-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Redmayne - the idea of the ignore function is you don;t see posts or PMs from members you find troublesome.

It makes things angst free

Calling them out anyway like you've done here kinda defeats the purpose of the ignore function,

Move on, my friend, yes?

Dee
SR
Old 05-25-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Red,

I'm not as "intellect" as you all....yet lol

"Stay close to anything that makes you feel alive" ! I have no problem understanding that

When my son gets home (he spent the night at a friends) I'm going to give him a great big "Hug".

I got myself sober, but he keeps me sober
Old 05-25-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post

Funny, there were many years when I kept beer, wine and whiskey close for that very reason, and the only reason I no longer keep them close is they stopped working for me. There was a shift from alcohol making me glad to be alive to alcohol making me wish I were dead.

I would maybe add a caveat: Stay close to anything that makes you glad to be alive, unless it starts killing you.
Redmayne, your response to the above comment seems defensive for no reason. I liked the quote, but immediately thought about the fact that there were many times alcohol made me glad to be alive. Pure and simple. I don't remember anything about suggesting the "ignore contact" function, but it does seem I can't write anything that won't raise your hair.

I'll try this: Dearest Redmayne, you are intelligent and insightful beyond words. I am not worthy to engage with your humble brilliance and always altruistic posts rooted in a wisdom I will never have the capacity to understand.

Heretofore bowing out,