Quality v. quantity...

Old 05-15-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Redmayne

That aside...

That aside, in my recovery followed by prolonged and hopefully lasting sobriety, a day at a time...one of the great benefits, amongst the many of recovery, is that I have now reached a stage where I look for quality, often found in credibility, including myself in all people and things that surround me.

Which allows me to simply detach from the same, in both categories from those who lack both quality and credibility, whilst attaching myself to those do!

An ability that was lacking in my delusional drinking days...in an indifferent spiritual manner, not without compassion for those less fortunate than I, but rather allowing me to not allow external events, people and events, to disturb my serenity and move on, to assist, where possible those people who I can help. Done by sharing my experience, strength and hope.

I'm assisted in this by the words of an acquaintance, himself a Consultant Psychologist who said,'There are some people in this world who no matter what you do or offer them, will always self destruct.'

Regrettably on certain occasions, I see signs of this on rare occasions on here, thank goodness that Dee74 pointed me to the ,'Ignore Contact' list, available to all...it's done wonders for me!
Old 05-15-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
That aside, in my recovery followed by prolonged and hopefully lasting sobriety, a day at a time...
Since the subject of the OP is "quality", I feel a need to point out the ODAAT is a great way to start out in recovery. However, like first gear in an auto or truck, it blows the engine at some point in the future if not shifted out of.

I myself, and others who have done the work also, have experienced something called a "Spiritual Awakening" which has liberated us form the thoughts and emotions that require ODAAT marginal level recovery.

"We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. "
(Big Book page 85)
Old 05-15-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Cool

If memory serves me correctly, I think there's mention in the BB, that most alcoholics, when sober are,'friendly, able and intelligent people,' not unlike most of those on here, notwithstanding the few who have mental disorders and are 'always going on the wagon' etc., etc...and are seriously psychiatrically disturbed....not unlike the odd one (geddit?) on here...
Well, your memory is only half serving you. The quote you're remembering is in pg xxviii, in The Doctor's Opinion, but it's NOT talking about 'alcoholics when sober;' it's talking still active alcoholics............:

"...Then there types entirely normal in every respect except in the effect alcohol has upon them. They are often able, intelligent, friendly people..."

(o:
NoelleR
Old 05-15-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Cool

Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Cool

...in my recovery followed by prolonged and hopefully lasting sobriety, a day at a time...

Let's remember, one day at a time is NOT mentioned in the Big Book (at least in the basic text portion of it).

The founders of AA (except in a few instances) did NOT believe in getting, and staying sober, one day at a time. That phrase comes from the serenity prayer, where it says we should live our life one day at a time.

The founders DID believe in getting, and staying, sober.........for good, forever............see pg 181; Dr Bob's Nightmare................:

"...if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor FOR GOOD AND ALL..."
Old 05-17-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Redmayne

An apology...

I think, when referring to acceptance, as playing a key part in recovery, I inadvertently mentioned a reference to p.471 of the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed., when I actually meant p.417...

For this unwitting error, I apologise, I'm sorry, obviously I had no intention to mislead anyone...
Old 05-17-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I'm sober because I did what worked for me. I pray it continues.

Good luck to everyone here.........................................
Old 05-18-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Thank you...

Now that, Kris, is what I call constructive comment, thank you...
Old 06-06-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Quality or Quanity,...................

I don't measure myself. I trust that I'm everything I should be in this moment.

I am and that is enough if I am following my HP.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Redmayne:

I believe everything happens for a reason (your post at the right time). Let me explain. I started the sober path January 2014. I have had good times and bad. Last weekend being bad. Each time I start over I make it longer than the last day one. You post hit me like a Mack truck. I keep looking at the quantity aspect of sobriety and not the quality. I am living just to make it through the day just to chalk up another sober day instead of focusing on my day and being sober. Basically I have been just burning the clock to make it through instead of changing the way I live. I woke up this morning searching for answers on how I am going to stay sober this time and your post may very well be the answer to start me off on the right track. I have been going about it all wrong. Thank you for posting