Not a good idea...

Old 05-11-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Not a good idea...

'Argue for your limitations, and they're are yours', this taken from Richard Bach's book,'Messiah's Handbook - Reminders for the Advanced Soul'. The key word in this quote being 'argue'...

In recovery I've often thought how apt this quote is tomine, you see in my drinking days, in my delusional alcoholic state of mind, if I'd argued for my limitations, I'd never have even got into recovery, never mind sober.

The keys to that being recognition and acceptance ( see p.471,'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed.) that I suffer from the disease/illness of alcoholism, of which the alcohol is but a symptom.

Together with fact, as I suspect is the case for all of us in recovery, once passing the vital stages of recognition and acceptance, in humility, I approached my recovery with an open, honest state of mind. Not always perfect, but I'm a human being, right! Where there were no limitations, other than the desire to get sober...against which there were no limitations.

In sobriety, whatever path or program you choose this takes the form of supporting myself and my sobriety by whatever doctrines,beliefs, philosophy's etc., that support it and my abstinence from alcohol..which comes before anything. For without it, I'm dead...as a number of people I met in my journey, regrettably are...we could probably all say that. People die of my disease and I take it. and the subject of recovery seriously...

Which is why it's not a good idea to argue for your limitations, just a suggestion.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

The key word in this quote being 'argue'...
The key word in my recovery is "recognize" my limitations. If I fail to "recognize" that I can't drink again (ever), I surly will.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Well...

Well, we're all entitled to our own paths and programs in recovery...it's just that some have a proven record of recovery than others...